Create a primary feed
A primary feed is the central data source that Merchant Center uses to access and display your product data. Learn more About feeds.
Use primary feeds to add or remove product data, set language and country targeting, and set feed rules for your product data. Primary feeds are the only feed type that can add or remove products.
Google recommends submitting all of your products in a single primary feed. If you need to exclude products, use the excluded destination
- In your Merchant Center account, go to the left-hand navigation and click Products.
- Click Feeds.
- Click the plus button under the “Primary feeds” section.
- Follow the prompts and enter these pieces of information:
Target countries are the countries in which products from this feed are sold. Product data in this feed must meet the requirements for the countries you submit, including the feed specifications and policies. You can add countries for Shopping ads when you select destinations during the feed creation process.
The language in which your product data is written. Learn more about Supported languages and currencies.
Feed labels let you advertise all products with the same feed label in a Google Ads campaign.
Choose one or many feed destinations in Merchant Center to allow you to determine which Google features can use the items in your data feed. Learn more about Multiple destinations for your products.
Primary feed name
Enter a descriptive name that helps you identify the primary feed. The feed name doesn’t need to match the name of the file you’re submitting. To change the feed name later, edit your primary feed settings.
Select the one that fits your needs best:
Depending on what input method you select, you may be prompted to enter the name of the file you will submit. This name should exactly match the name of the file you created and it should include a valid extension.
After you have provided the information and clicked Continue, you can view and manage your newly created primary feed in the "Feeds" section of your Merchant Center account.
To manually fetch or upload a feed, click on the 3-dot icon in the "Processing" tab of your feed and select your upload preference from the dropdown.
A supplemental feed is a secondary data source used to provide more details or update existing details, such as required or optional product attributes, that may be missing from your primary feed. A supplemental feed can't be used to add or remove products or be used as a standalone feed. Learn more About feeds.
Feed rules and supplemental feeds can be defined for multi-client accounts and can be applied to all or some of the associated sub-accounts. If you selected to override rules and supplemental feed data from sub-accounts, then you won’t be able to link the supplemental feed (added at the sub-account level) to any primary feeds. Learn more about how to Set up supplemental feeds for multi-client accounts.
Legacy online inventory update feeds
Before supplemental feeds were introduced, "Online inventory feeds" allowed merchants to make updates to their price and availability values without having to reupload their main product feed. "Online inventory feeds" are now deprecated. However, the same functionality can be achieved with supplemental feeds. You can create a supplemental feed with an ID
[id], Price [price], and Availability
[availability] and link the new supplemental feed to your primary feed using the "Take latest" rule.
How it works
To use a supplemental feed, connect it to the existing primary feed using the ID
[id] attribute. Supplemental feeds will only update your product data when the supplemental feed contains IDs that already exist in a primary feed.
|3||hiking boots||100||Brand C|
Supplemental feed that uses the ID
[id] attribute to match to the primary feed:
|3||hiking boots||100||Brand C|
Common use cases for supplemental feeds include, but aren't limited to:
- Add or override custom labels for campaign management.
- Add or override promotion IDs for retail promotions.
- Override titles.
- Exclude specific products (using the excluded destination
- Add missing GTINs. Learn more about GTIN
- Add local inventory product data for local inventory ads.
- Add or override country-specific attributes for a primary feed with multiple countries.
Each supplemental feed must have an ID
[id] attribute column, along with at least one additional column with the data you would like to connect to a primary feed.
To create a supplemental feed:
- In your Merchant Center account, click the Products drop down menu from the left navigation panel.
- Click Feeds.
- Click Add supplemental feed at the top of the supplemental feeds table.
- Follow the prompts and enter the following pieces of information:
- Supplemental feed name: Enter a descriptive name that helps you identify the supplemental feed. The supplemental feed name doesn’t need to match the name of the file you’re submitting.
- You can change the feed name later by editing your primary feed settings.
- Input method: Select the one that fits your needs best:
- Google Sheets: You can upload your data using a generated Google Sheets template, or with an existing Google Sheet with your product data. Learn more about how to Set up your product data in Google Sheets.
- Scheduled fetch: Google can fetch your feed directly from your server.
- Upload: Upload files directly to Merchant Center using SFTP, Google Cloud Storage, or manually.
- File name: Depending on what input method you select, you may be prompted to enter the name of the file you'll be submitting. This name should exactly match the name of the file you created and include a valid extension.
- Linking to primary feed: Select any primary feed and target country or language combination to which the supplemental feed belongs.
- Fetch schedule: Set a scheduled fetch for your product data. This lets Merchant Center get fresh feeds without you needing to manually upload your data.
To manually upload or fetch a feed, click the 3-dot icon in the "Processing" tab of your feed and select your upload preference from the dropdown.
After your supplemental feed is created and linked to a primary feed, Merchant Center will automatically create a rule, which you can find in the "feed rules" section of Merchant Center. The rule will connect the product data from the 2 feeds based on the value provided for the ID
[id] attribute, and will connect attribute data from the supplemental feed.
Regional product inventory feeds
Regional inventory feeds are a type of supplemental feed that can be used to override your existing product data in the primary feed in order to show regional pricing or availability for a selection of products in your predefined regions. Regional inventory feeds can't be used to add or remove products or be used as standalone feeds. However, they can be used to override existing product data.
Regional inventory feeds support the following required attributes:
Regional inventory feeds also support the following optional attributes:
- Sale price
- Sale price effective date
Need more help?
If you need help fixing issues with setting up, formatting, and uploading your feed, check out the guided feeds troubleshooter.