Automated feeds make it easier to send product data to Google, which helps customers find information about your products across various Google touch points so you can reach new customers on a global scale.
This article explains how to submit and manage your product data using automated feeds in Merchant Center.
How it works
Automated feeds uses a feature called website crawl, which uses structured data and sitemap information to extract the most up-to-date information about relevant products from your website.
In order for those website crawls to work for automated feeds, you'll have to add schema.org structured data markup to to all product landing pages on your website. Learn more about structured data markup
To use automated feeds, the following attributes are required: title
[availability], and image link
[image_link]. If you’d like to enrich the data Google discovers from your website, you can also upload a supplemental feed or provide additional details via structured data markup, for example: GTIN
[description], or condition
Google also reads your website's sitemaps to comprehensively crawl your site. Learn more about sitemaps
After you've added structured data markup to your site, the feed input method "website crawl" will become available in your Merchant Center account when you are creating a new primary feed. This will then create product data in the Feeds section of your account.
If you don't see "website crawl" as the input method in your Merchant Center account, make sure:
- Your structured data markup is correctly implemented for all required attributes.
- You have removed or don't currently have a feed in your account.
- Your account is not suspended.
- You have the correct robots.txt settings, and Googlebot is not blocked. Learn more
Set up automated feeds
To get started with automated feeds:
- Create a Merchant Center account. Make sure to verify and claim your website URL.
- Check that your website (specifically the product landing pages) have structured data markup implemented correctly. You can do this using the "Rich Results Tool".
- In your Merchant Center account, select "Products", then select "Add products" from the section "Add products automatically from your website".
- You'll see a preview of some of the products on your website. Click "Add products" to add them to your account.
Keep in mind
If you’d like to show your products in Shopping ads, you’ll also need to:
- Link your Merchant Center and Google Ads accounts. Learn more about linking accounts
- Build a campaign in your Google Ads account. Learn more about creating campaigns
How to manage automated feeds
After automated feeds are active and using the "website crawl" input method, you can monitor your product data in Merchant Center on the "All products" page. You can also resolve data quality issues on the "Diagnostics" page, or review recommendations for improvements on the "Opportunities" page. Your data will be refreshed regularly, depending on the traffic that your website receives from Google.
You can also update your product data in Merchant Center using supplemental feeds as often as you like. Supplemental feeds provide additional information to your feed, and you can refresh these supplemental feeds more often or send additional details that are not part of your primary feed. Learn more about supplemental feeds
Note: If your offers require frequent price changes, we recommend using the Content API.
To make broad changes across your product data, we recommend using feed rules. Learn more about feed rules
To remove a product from an automated feed:
- Use the excluded destination
[excluded_destination]attribute in the supplemental feed.
- To disable future crawling of the product to remove it completely from Merchant Center, use the structured data markup to tag the product’s availability as “discontinued”.
- If the product should no longer be indexed by Google, add a "noindex" metatag to the product landing page. This will remove the page from all Google experiences, including web search.