Test and preview your Feed Rules
Use the staging environment feature in Merchant Center to preview and manage your Feed Rules. The staging environment allows you to see how drafted rules would impact and change your product data, prior to applying the drafted rules.
Before you begin
Before you’re able to run a test of your rules, you must create a draft of your rules. To create a draft:
- Go to the Feeds section in your Merchant Center account.
- Select a primary feed to which you would like to apply rules.
- Click on the Rules tab for the feed.
- Click Create Rule to create new rules for your feed, then click OK.
- Be sure to click Save Draft.
- Navigate back to the main Rules tab. You will now see a box stating that you have a draft.
Test your rules
After you’ve created a rules draft, you can begin to test the draft and preview how it would impact your product data. To test your rules:
- Go to the Rules tab
- Click Test changes.
- Wait for the report to generate. This test may take between 10 and 20 minutes.
- Review the results of the test and confirm that the new rules are doing what you intended.
- If the rules aren't working the way you intended, update any rules that may need adjusting.
- To run another test with your new updates, click Test changes.
If you want to run a new test using the same drafted rules and updated product data, click Retest.
- Once you're satisfied with your rules, click Apply. Your drafted rules will go live and be applied to your product data.
Review your results
The test results are displayed after a test is completed.
This section shows how your new or updated rules would impact the status of your items.
The table includes the total number of "Approved," "Disapproved," and "Excluded" items for your destination (typically Shopping ads), based on the effects of your currently applied rules. It also shows how those numbers would change if you applied your drafted rules. If you submit product data for multiple destinations, such as Shopping ads and local inventory ads, you can choose which destination you would like to see product data for.
|Approved||This status includes items that would appear in the Diagnostics tab as "Active," "Pending," or "Expiring."|
If an item is "Disapproved", that means it can't show in your chosen destination.
This includes any and all of the disapproval reasons you'd see in the Diagnostics section of your Merchant Center account.
These are items that you chose to exclude from your destination. To manage whether your items are excluded or included, you can use the
Below the status summary table, you will also see:
- Groups of items whose status would change as a result of new or updated rules.
- For each group, the way in which the status of the items would change, such as approved to disapproved.
- For each group, the number of items whose status would change.
- For each group, up to 5 examples of which items would change and how after the new rules are applied.
Note: Review all status change messages before applying your draft rules to avoid unintentionally taking a portion of your inventory offline.
Attribute change summary
In this section you will see:
- The attributes that would be impacted by new or updated rules.
- For each attribute, the number of items that would see a change in that attribute.
- For each attribute, up to 5 examples of how the attribute would change after the rules are applied.