This article explains how to fix issues with Google Meet and Chat in Gmail. To fix issues with email, go to the Gmail troubleshooting section.
- Check your Gmail settings to make sure these features are enabled:
- If you're on the web, refresh your browser twice to reload Chat and Meet in Gmail. If you're using a mobile device, restart the apps. You might need to do this more than once as features roll out.
- If you use Gmail through work or school, features might be turned off for your organization. However, you can still use Chat, Meet, and Tasks separately. For information about feature availability, contact your administrator.
- To give users the full integrated Gmail experience, make sure these Google services are turned on for your organization:
- Chat—Required to use Chat in Gmail. You also need to opt in to Chat preferred as described in the Chat deployment guide.
- Meet—Required to use Meet in Gmail. If you use an Education edition, allow users to create video meetings.
- Calendar—Required to show event information in My meetings.
- Tasks—Required to show tasks in spaces. To use Tasks, you must turn it on for your entire Google Workspace organization, not just for a set of users.
- Drive and Docs —Required for collaborating on docs in spaces.
- Depending on your edition, you might need to enable Docs creation for your organization. Required to create docs in spaces.
- Get tips for setting up the new Gmail experience for your organization.
The My meetings section in the Gmail sidebar shows events that have a Join with Google Meet link in your calendar. Events that have meeting links only in their descriptions don't appear in the My meetings section.
If you don't see any events in the My meetings section, either you don't have events with a Meet link, or Calendar is turned off for your organization. Scheduled meetings appear only if Calendar is turned on. For information about service availability in your organization, contact your administrator.
- You can move the Chat panel to the right or left in Gmail.
- To see more of your contacts, collapse or expand other sidebar sections by clicking the arrow next to Mail or Meet.
- Control notifications for specific spaces, people, or conversations.
- Temporarily snooze notifications in Chat.
- If you’re using classic Hangouts, stop extra Chat notifications.
- To get chat notifications from the Chat app and not from Gmail, turn off notifications for the Gmail app on your mobile device. Learn more about notifications.
- Try turning chat history on. If you don’t see this option, and you use Chat through work or school, your administrator might have turned chat history off for your organization.
You might not be able to chat with people whose Chat settings are incompatible with yours. Learn more about chat settings.
- When you create a space, select Allow people outside your organization to join. You can’t select this option after a space is created.
Note: If you use Gmail through work or school and you don’t see this option when creating a space, your administrator might have turned the feature off.
- Turn on external spaces to let users create spaces that allow participants from outside your organization.
- If you can't upload or edit files in spaces, Drive or Docs editors might be turned off for your organization. When the Drive and Docs is turned off, you don't have the add to Drive option under the Files tab. For information about service availability in your organization, contact your administrator.
If you’re offline and try to open a document, it will open in a new tab. Your ability to edit the document depends on whether offline access is enabled. If offline access is enabled, offline editing will continue to work when you’re editing a document in a space and go offline. Learn more about offline editing.
- Depending on your edition, you might need to enable Docs creation for your organization.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings View all settings.
- At the top, click Chat and Meet.
- Next to Chat, click Off.
- Next to Meet, click Hide the Meet section in the main menu.