If you don’t get notifications, check your Google Chat notification settings. Learn how to turn Google Chat notifications on or off.
Make sure notifications are turned on for the device and browser you use with Google Chat.
- Check if notifications are turned on for your computer's operating system (OS).
- If you use the iOS or Android Google Chat app, check the notification settings on your mobile device.
- Check if notifications are turned on for your internet browser.
Check Google Chat notification settings
- Open Google Chat.
- At the top right, click Settings Settings.
- To turn on notifications for Google Chat messages, under "Desktop notifications," check the box next to "Allow chat notifications."
Optional: To turn email notifications for unread messages on or off, under “Email notifications,” select Only @mentions & direct messages or Off.
Check browser notification settings
Allow Google Chat notifications in Chrome
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click Customize and control Google Chrome Settings.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
- Click Notifications.
- Select the Chat and Mail entries. Make sure “Notification permissions” is set to “Allow” for each.
Tip: You can add Google Chat and Mail entries if they’re not listed:
Allow Google Chat notifications in other browsers
Each browser requires different steps to turn on notifications. For more info, go to the online help for your browser.