Get started: Chat setup guide for admins
Turn chat history on or off
You can control whether Hangouts Chat keeps chat history for users in your organization. You can set the default and also let users change the default for their history. Chat history is off by default for both Chat and classic Hangouts.
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteHangouts Chat.
- Click History On/Off Settings.
- Under Organizational Units, select the domain or organizational unit you want to apply settings to.
- Select an option to turn history On or Off. Set it to always on/off, or let users change the default you set.
- Click Save.
- History settings apply to direct messages. History is always on in rooms.
- If history is off, messages are deleted after 24 hours.
- Vault can't hold, retain, or search direct messages sent with history turned off. Check with a Vault admin to confirm these history settings comply with your organization's data retention obligations.
- Data is not reported inside the Audit report (Reports > Audit > Hangouts Chat) for direct messages that are sent with history off.
- History changes apply to new messages. For example, If you turn chat history on, only new messages are saved. If you turn chat history off, old messages that were previously saved are still saved.