As an administrator, you can control whether to keep chat history for users in your organization. You can set the default and also let users change their history setting for each conversation.
The chat history settings for Google Chat and classic Hangouts are combined in the Google Admin console. There's now one setting to control chat history for your organization. Learn more
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceGoogle Chat and classic Hangouts.
- Click History for chats.
- Under Organizational Units, select the domain or organizational unit you want to apply settings to.
Turn history On or Off.
- If you turn history On, you can use Vault to control how long messages are retained. Messages will disappear after the Vault retention period (if you set one).
- If you turn history Off, messages are deleted after 24 hours. Vault can't hold, retain, or search direct messages that are sent with history turned off.
- To let users change their history setting, check Allow users to change their history setting.
Note: If your organization uses both Chat and classic Hangouts, and you don’t allow users to change their history setting, there may be times users can’t join or stay in a Chat space. To learn more, visit Set a space history option for users.
- Click Save.
- Chat history settings apply to direct messages and group messages. If your organization has both Chat and classic Hangouts (that is, your chat setting is “Chat preferred” or “Chat and classic Hangouts”), then Allow users to change their history setting also applies to unthreaded spaces. History is always on in spaces with threaded conversations and can never be changed.
- History changes apply only to new messages. For example, If you turn chat history on, only new messages will be saved. If you turn chat history off, old messages that were previously saved are still saved.
- If history is forced on, people in different data regions can’t chat. (History is forced on if History for chats is On and Allow users to change their history setting is not selected.) If you allow users to change their history setting, history will automatically be turned off when people from different data regions chat.
- Data is not reported in the Audit report (Reports > Audit > Hangouts Chat) for direct messages sent with history off.