Turn Hangouts Chat on or off
You can turn the new Hangouts Chat on for your domain or organizational unit.
Note: Chat history is always on in rooms. Get more information about history settings.
To control who uses Hangouts Chat in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Apps G Suite Hangouts Chat.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
At the left, the top-level organization and any organizational units appear.
To apply settings to individual organizational units, do the following:
- At the left, select the organizational unit that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- To change the setting, select On or Off.
- To keep the setting the same, even if the parent setting changes, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about the organizational structure.
Changes typically take effect in minutes, but can take up to 24 hours. For details, see Admin console settings don't update.