Turn Hangouts Chat on or off
You can turn the new Hangouts Chat on for your domain or organizational unit.
Note: Chat history is always on in rooms. Get more information about history settings.
To control who uses Hangouts Chat in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for a set of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Apps G Suite Hangouts Chat.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
To apply settings to all organizations, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To apply settings to individual organizational units, do the following:
- At the left, select the organizational unit that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- To change the setting, select On or Off.
- To keep the setting the same, even if the parent setting changes, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about the organizational structure.
Changes typically take effect in minutes, but can take up to 24 hours. For details, see Admin console settings don't update.
If you manage a large number of users or sync your LDAP directoryYou can use access groups to turn on a service for specific users within an organizational unit. You turn off the service for the organization, and then add the users to an access group that has the service turned on. This lets you give users access to services without making changes to your organizational structure. Learn about access groups.
- Control who can access G Suite and Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services