Create a room in Google Chat to provide a place where a team can communicate and collaborate.
You can allow people outside your organization to join a room, but you must do so when you create the room. If you allow external people in a room, they must either have a G Suite account with another organization or a personal Google Account (usually ending in @gmail.com).
- Open Chat.
- Next to Rooms, click Add.
- (Optional) To add a room avatar, click Choose an emojiselect an emoji. If you don't select an emoji, a default letter avatar will be used instead.
- Enter a room name.
- To add a person or group to the room, enter names or email addresses, or select from the suggestions. Suggestions include everyone in your organization, even if they don't have Google Chat. Repeat for each invitee.
- (Optional) To allow threaded replies in your room, check the Use threaded replies box.
- (Optional) To allow people from outside your organization to join the room, check the Use threaded replies box, and then check the Allow people outside your organization to join box.
- Click Create.
- (Optional) To add more people and bots to the room, click Add people & bots, enter the person’s name, and then click Send.