Use the adult
[adult] attribute to indicate that individual products are for adults only because they contain adult content such as nudity, sexually suggestive content, or are intended to enhance sexual activity.
In this article
We care what we show to our customers, so if your business model is not adult oriented but you’re selling an individual adult-oriented product, you must label that product clearly so we can show appropriate and legally compliant content to people shopping online.
When to use
Required if a product contains adult content such as nudity, sexually suggestive content, or is intended to enhance sexual activity
If an individual product is defined as adult oriented according to our policy, restrict that product to adults only using the adult
[adult] attribute. Learn more about our policy on adult-oriented content.
If your website is generally focused on an adult audience and contains adult-oriented content with or without nudity, use the account level settings instead.
If you use the classic Merchant Center experience:
- In your Merchant Center, click the tools and settings icon and select Account settings.
- Expand the “Adult content” panel, and check the box next to “My website primarily contains adult-oriented content (for example, erotic lingerie) as defined by Google's Policy.”
- If you check the box, you don't need to submit the adult attribute for individual products.
If you use Merchant Center Next:
- Navigate to your Merchant Center account.
- Find the “Your business” section and select the “Business details” tab.
- Click on Edit details.
- Scroll to the bottom and check the box for “Adult content”.
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure Google understands the data you're submitting.
Learn when and how to submit your product data in English
These are the supported values for this attribute:
[yes] / True
[no] / False
(Text and XML feeds)
(Content API feeds)
|File format||Example entry|
To format your data for content API, see the Content API for Shopping resource.
These are the requirements you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in your Merchant Center account.
- Submit either
no. If an individual product is not adult oriented, then you don’t need to submit
no. We’ll assume that your product is not adult oriented if you don’t submit the attribute and if your site isn't set as adult oriented at the account level.
- Don’t show adult-oriented products on the landing page of a product that isn’t adult oriented. If you’re also advertising products that aren’t adult oriented, make sure that their landing pages are free of adult-oriented content. If that’s not possible, then set your entire site or those individual products as adult oriented.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimize your product data for performance.
- Don't use the adult attribute to indicate age group. For example, if you want to indicate that you’re selling "adult-sized" shoes, and not "kids" shoes, use the age group
- Don't use the adult attribute for alcohol. Check how to label alcohol products using the Google product category
[google_product_category]attribute to ensure products are shown to an appropriate audience.
Review each section closely to determine if the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in your Merchant Center account.
- Submit the adult
[adult]attribute with a value of
yesfor the entire bundle if any product in a bundle is considered adult. Learn more about the bundle attribute