About Feed Rules
Legacy feeds content
This article includes some information that applies to the old feeds experience in Merchant Center. If you're using primary and supplemental feeds, read about how to set up feeds.
Feed Rules offer a way to transform your data for Google Merchant Center. Feed Rules may make it possible for you to export and submit your product database “as is” and then transform your attributes and values to meet the product data specification directly in Google Merchant Center.
Feed Rules work by allowing you to map fields and values in your products data feed to defined Merchant Center attributes and values.
This article explains the benefits of using Feed Rules and how you can use Feed Rules to meet the requirements in the product data specification without making changes to your product data.
- Reduce the time you spend to submit valid product data to Google. If you spend time reformatting your product data to match the requirements in the product data specification, you may be able to create Feed Rules that transform your existing data feed instead of editing your feed each time you submit. Once you specify Feed Rules for a feed, all future uploads are processed according to those rules.
- Resolve many errors in your data quickly. If you're able to apply a feed rule to address errors in your feed, you'll likely be able to resolve many errors at once.
How Feed Rules work
A feed rule is a data transformation rule that tells us how you want Merchant Center to interpret the product data you're submitting. When you define a feed rule, we'll use that rule every time you submit that feed. The feed rule will allow your product data to meet the requirements in the Products Feed Specification without editing your feed.
With Feed Rules you can:
- Replace your field names supported attributes names from the product data specification.
- Replace the values in your feed with values compliant with product data specification and customize values based on conditions.
- Populate some missing attributes with a static value, or with different static values based on conditions.
- Combine values and static text to create attribute values.
For example, you might submit a feed with field headers like the ones below. These field headers are not recognized by the product data specification so the feed will show errors.
|Unsupported field headers|
|main title||long description||product state|
Instead of changing your field headers each time you create your feed, you can apply a feed rule to rename each of these attributes to the required attributes from the product data specification.
|Using Feed Rules|
|'main title' transforms to 'title'|
|'long description' transforms to 'description'|
|'product state' transforms to 'condition'|
Once you've specified rules to transform your data to meet the requirements in the product data specification, you can submit your data feed formatted exactly the way it is.