About linking Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts
Linking a Google Analytics property to your Google Ads account can help you analyze customer activity on your website after an ad click or impression. This information can shed light on how much of your website traffic or business comes from Google Ads, and help you improve your ads and website.
Linking accounts allows you to import Google Analytics goals and transactions, see Google Analytics data in your Google Ads reports, and import Analytics remarketing audiences. You’ll also see Google Ads data in your Analytics reports.
This article explains how linking Google Analytics and Google Ads works. For instructions on linking the two accounts, read Link Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts.
How it works
When you link a Google Ads account to an Analytics property, anyone with access to the views you selected during linking will be able to see your imported Google Ads data.
Likewise, if you choose to import Analytics data (such as goals and transactions, metrics, or remarketing lists) into your Google Ads account, anyone with access to that Google Ads account will be able to see your imported Analytics data. You’ll be able to see this data in the Conversions column of your Google Ads reports.
Keep in mind that once Analytics data (for example, goals) has been imported to Google Ads, it is subject to the Google Ads terms of service.
About the Linked accounts page for Google Analytics
After you link your Google Ads account to an Analytics property, you can see the following details in the “Linked accounts” page for Google Analytics in your Google Ads account:
- Views: Shows how many views have been linked for this property. When you place your cursor over the data, you’ll see which views have been linked, and which view’s site metrics have been imported. If the property has any views linked to manager accounts, you’ll also see a breakdown of how many views are linked to manager accounts and how many to your account.
- Goals: Shows how many goals have been imported into your conversion reports for this property. When you place your cursor over the data, you’ll see how many additional goals you can import as well as a link to manage your conversion actions.
- Audiences: Shows how many remarketing lists have been created for this property. When you place your cursor over the data, you’ll see which lists have been created, as well as a link to create audience lists.
- Accounts: If your account is managed by one or more manager accounts, this column shows which manager accounts are linked to a given property.
- If the property is linked only to your account and not linked to a manager account, you’ll see “This account” in the column.
- If the account is managed by multiple manager accounts (for example, by a sub-manager and a manager account), you can place your cursor over the data to see which manager accounts are linked to the property.
Moving Google Analytics properties
Google Analytics account administrators can move their Analytics property from one Analytics account to another. Any linked Google Ads accounts will continue to be linked to the property. After the move, users of the new Analytics account will be able to see data from the linked Google Ads accounts.
Editing or unlinking Analytics properties
Once you've created a link to an Analytics property, you can add or remove views, edit settings, or unlink the property entirely. Read Link Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts to learn how.
Keep in mind, when you unlink a property:
- Session data for Google Ads (such as clicks, impressions, CPC, etc.) from before you unlinked will still be available in Google Ads reports. But new sessions resulting from clicks in the Google Ads accounts after you’ve unlinked will show in reports as "(not set)."
- Remarketing lists based on the link will be closed.
- Goals or transactions will no longer be imported into Google Ads from Analytics.
Read the Google Best Practices guide about improving Google Ads performance with Google Analytics.
- Import Google Analytics goals and transactions into Google Ads
- Add Google Analytics data to Google Ads reports
- Create and manage remarketing lists in Analytics
- About Google Ads reports in Analytics