Last updated: February 24, 2023. Visit this page in the coming months for the latest information.
Google Analytics 4 is our next-generation measurement solution, and it's replacing Universal Analytics. On July 1, 2023, standard Universal Analytics properties will stop processing data. We strongly encourage you to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible.
Understand what's going to happen
- Beginning in March 2023, if you haven't already created a GA4 property, we'll create one for you, unless you opt out. This new property will be based on the settings in your Universal Analytics property. If you have created a GA4 property, and that property is connected to a Universal Analytics property, we'll copy over any configurations (e.g., goals, audiences, etc.) from your Universal Analytics property that you have not marked as complete in your GA4 property, unless you opt out. Learn more
- Until July 1, 2023, you can continue to use and collect new data in your Universal Analytics properties.
- After July 1, 2023, you'll be able to access your previously processed data in your Universal Analytics property for at least six months. We know your data is important to you, and we strongly encourage you to export your historical reports during this time.
- In the coming months, we'll provide a future date for when existing Universal Analytics properties will no longer be available. After this future date, you'll no longer be able to see your Universal Analytics reports in the Analytics interface or access your Universal Analytics data via the API.
Check if your Google Analytics property is impacted
- If you created your property before October 14, 2020, you're likely using a Universal Analytics property.
- If you created your property after October 14, 2020, you're likely using a Google Analytics 4 property already, and no action is required.
Complete your next steps
We strongly encourage you to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible. Doing so will allow you to build the necessary historical data and usage in the new experience, preparing you for continuity once Universal Analytics is no longer available.
QuestionsExpand all Collapse all How can I export data from my Universal Analytics property?
There are currently several ways to export data from your Universal Analytics property.
- Export individual reports into the following formats:
- TSV for Excel
- Excel (XLSX)
- Google Sheets
- Use the Google Analytics Reporting API to export data
- Google Analytics 360 customers can also export to BigQuery
We intend to offer more guidance on data export as we approach the date when Universal Analytics is no longer available.
Unless your Universal Analytics property is linked to your Google Ads account, your Google Ads account will be unaffected. However, if your Universal Analytics property and Google Ads accounts are linked, Universal Analytics data will stop flowing to Google Ads after July 1, 2023. (July 1, 2024 for Analytics 360 properties.) This could affect your Google Ads campaigns if you're:
- bidding on imported Universal Analytics goals or ecommerce transactions
- using a Universal Analytics audience in your campaigns
- importing Universal Analytics site metrics
We suggest you migrate your Universal Analytics property's Google Ads links to your Google Analytics 4 property. Next, you should import Google Analytics 4 conversions (for bidding) and/or add Google Analytics 4 audiences to a campaign or ad group (for remarketing).
For additional questions on how this change may affect your Google Ads campaigns, contact your Google Ads Sales Representative.
In the coming months, we'll provide a future date for when existing Universal Analytics properties will no longer be available. You'll be able to see this date within Analytics itself, as well as in this article and throughout the help center. Additionally, you'll receive emails with more details as we approach the date when Universal Analytics is no longer available.