Setup Assistant in Google Analytics 4 properties outlines settings and features that you can implement to get the most out of your newly created property. Setup Assistant helps you keep track of which setup steps you've completed, links to full directions for each step, and takes you directly to the Admin setup page for each setting.
Find Setup Assistant
All users can view Setup Assistant, but you need the Editor role on the property to make any changes.
- Sign in to Analytics.
- Navigate to your Google Analytics 4 property.
- Click Admin.
- In the Property column, click Setup Assistant.
Use Setup Assistant
Setup Assistant organizes settings into the following groups, with a row for each setup step:
- Data collection
- Property settings
- Google Ads
- Advanced setup (optional)
You might not need to use all of the settings or features in these groups. For example, you can skip:
- Turn on Google signals if you're not interested in enabling cross-device reporting, cross-device remarketing, or cross-device conversion export to Google Ads.
- Define audiences if you don't want to segment users by dimensions, metrics, or events.
See the status of each step
The row for each step displays the current setup status. For example:
- If you created an entirely new Google Analytics 4 property that isn't connected to a Universal Analytics, all rows will initially have a Not started status.
- If you've already turned on Google signals and linked Google Ads accounts to your property, Setup Assistant detects those changes and will show Signal enabled in the Turn on Google signals row and the number of active links in the Link to Google Ads row.
Update or enable a feature
For most steps in Setup Assistant, you can click the Actions menu at the right of the row to go to the specific Admin page for configuring the setting. If you're unfamiliar with any step, click Learn more to open a new browser tab with more detailed information about the setting.
Mark a step as complete
Setup Assistant doesn't automatically mark a step as complete. Once you've successfully set up a feature, click the Actions menu in that row and select Mark as complete.
Setup Assistant displays a green check for steps that you or another Editor have marked complete. All property users see the same status.
Users with existing Universal Analytics properties
If you have a Universal Analytics property connected to your Google Analytics 4 property, use Setup Assistant to create a continuity in configuration between the two properties.
To compare the status of different steps in your connected Google Analytics 4 and Universal Analytics properties, hover over the status (for example, Signal enabled). A box will appear with additional details.
Tip: Use migration tools
Setup Assistant includes several tools to help you quickly recreate goals as conversions, migrate Google Ads links, and add users from your Universal Analytics property to your Google Analytics 4 property.
To access these tools, select Import from Universal Analytics from the Actions > menu in the row for that setup step.
Learn more about each of these tools:
Note: There is no tool to backfill your new Google Analytics 4 property with historical data. Your Google Analytics 4 property only collects data going forward. To see historical data, navigate to your Universal Analytics property. If your Universal Analytics property name is Example property, your Google Analytics 4 property name will be Example property - GA4.