You need the Editor role on the property to customize reports. Each property can have up to 200 custom reports.
Access the report builder
Click Customize report  in the upper-right corner of any report OR
- In the left navigation, click Library (at the bottom of the left navigation).
- Scroll down to the Reports table.
- Click +Create new report and select "Create detail report"
Hover your mouse over a report in the table and click More .Detail reports have the Type (second column in the table) "Detail report".
- Click Edit or Make a copy from the drop-down menu.
- Edit allows you to edit the original report.
- Make a copy preserves the original report and opens a copy for editing.
The report builder appears.
Customize the report
The report builder for a detail report has four sections, each explained below: Report Data, Charts, Report Template, and Summary Cards.
Once you have finished making changes, click Save. An alert will notify you if any collections contain the report that you are modifying.
The Report Data section is where you set the dimensions and metrics that appear in the report table.
In the report builder, click Dimensions to control the list of primary dimensions that will be available in the table. For example, in the screenshot below, the Dimensions editor shows the dimensions User medium, User source, User source/medium, etc.
Use the Dimensions editor to control the primary dimensions that are available in the report table drop down menu. See example screenshot, below.
Drag dimensions so that they appear in the order you want, remove and add dimensions, and Set as default the dimension that you would like to appear in the table by default. Click Apply to apply your changes and go back to the report builder.
In the report builder, click Metrics to control the list of metrics that will display (as columns) in the table. In the Metrics editor, drag metrics so that they appear in the order you want, and remove and add metrics. Click Apply to apply your changes and go back to the report builder.
You can have up to two visualizations at the top of a detail report.
- If you don't want one or both of the visualizations to appear, toggle one or both of them off.
- Select the type(s) of visualization you want.
- Drag a visualization to change which of the two visualizations appears first in the report.
In this section of the report builder, you create cards that relate to this report. These cards can then be used to assemble overview reports. You can skip over the Summary Cards section if you don't want to create any cards for this report.
For each card you create, you must set at least one dimension, one metric, and one visualization. You can only select dimensions and metrics that are used in the detail report.
Linked objects (e.g. linked reports) receive updates from Google. For example, if Google adds a dimension to the User acquisition report, the dimension will automatically be added to all linked User acquisition reports.
Changes that you (or another administrator on the property) have made will not be impacted. For example:
- Metrics or dimensions that you (or another property admin) have added or removed aren't impacted.
- Charts (visualizations) that you (or another property admin) have added or removed aren't impacted.
If you don't want a report to receive updates, you can unlink it.