Optimize for Cross-Device Conversions: Google Best Practices
Take full advantage of cross-device conversions in AdWords. After reaching a strict, highly conservative confidence level, cross-device conversions are shown in AdWords reporting to provide marketers with highly accurate and granular insight on users’ cross-device behavior.
1. Capture all possible cross-device conversions in AdWords
- Consider longer conversion windows, even up to 90 days if it makes sense for you.
Why: Users who research across multiple devices generally take longer to convert than someone who uses a single device.
- Enable cross-account conversion tracking (if warranted by your account’s structure).
Why: Don't let your account structure limit your cross-device visibility. Cross-account conversions report multi-device users’ interactions with you across accounts.
- Deploy the same conversion tag for your desktop and mobile sites, and implement in-app conversion tracking as well.
Why: In order to measure conversions across devices and between apps and browsers, you’ll need to have consistent tracking in place.
- Avoid conversion tags that only fire conditionally.
Why: Cross-device tracking performs best when it’s aware of as many conversions as possible. Conditionally firing your AdWords tag can limit your insight.
- Design your apps and mobile and desktop sites to facilitate cross-device actions.
Why: The customer journey will look different depending on their context. If a user can’t convert on her current device, make it easy to save and convert later.
2. Find insights on all cross-device conversions
Why: This allows you to use automated bidding to drive more cross-device conversions.
- Understand the difference in performance uplift between mobile and desktop.
Why: The uplift rate will vary across different devices. Awareness of those differences (by segmenting by device), helps to set bid modifiers and mobile-preferred ads.
Those segmented statistics will show the device of the originating click, not of the final conversion.
3. Set bids and messaging based on cross-device behavior
- Adjust your bids based on what you see in your “Conversions” column.
Why: Your bids should reflect the value, cross-device or otherwise, that is captured in your “Conversions” column.
AdWords automated bidding factors in cross-device conversions once you include them in your "Conversions" column on the Conversions settings tab.
Guide me in my account to set a mobile bid adjustment.
- Tailor ads to align with what someone can realistically complete on their current device.
Why: Users are more likely to complete a task if they know that task will be achievable in their current situation.