Turn inspiration into action with Video
Follow this best practices guide to drive the best possible performance for your video ads.
1. Select the goal you want to achieve
- Choose a goal that helps you focus on the outcomes that matter to your business.
Why: When you start with a campaign goal in Google Ads, you’ll see suggested settings and bidding strategies aimed at helping you obtain that goal.
Get started: Learn about goals in Google Ads.
- Decide on the video ad formats you’ll use.
Get started: Learn about video ad formats.
2. Reach your most qualified audiences with YouTube
- Use intent signals to connect with high value customers more efficiently.
Why: Intent signals help you drive better results by reaching consumers who are interested in a certain message at the right moment.
Get started: Learn about audience targeting.
3. Follow a framework for effective video creative
- Attract: Draw attention from the beginning.
Why: Regardless of ad format, people have the choice to watch your video or move on. It’s important to capture their attention from the start.
- Brand: Integrate your brand naturally and meaningfully.
Why: Placing your product or business in the first 5 seconds, as well as combining it with sound, can increase ad recall and viewership.
- Connect: Connect with the viewer through emotion and storytelling.
Why: Creating an emotional connection with your audience, such as using humor and suspense, is associated with higher brand awareness and viewership.
- Direct: Clearly state what you want the viewer to do.
Why: It’s easier for viewers to perform a specific action once they’ve seen your ad.
Get started: Use these proven approaches to help your ads deliver on your marketing goals.
4. Track and optimize YouTube ads
- If your goal is to drive brand awareness or consideration, talk to your Google salesperson about Brand Lift.
Why: You can understand how viewers’ perceptions of your business are affected by your video ad in near real-time, to improve your campaign’s effectiveness.
- If your goal is to drive online conversions like purchases, leads or sign-ups, use conversion tracking.
Why: Once you understand how viewers are engaging with your ads online, optimize to drive a higher volume of website conversions.
- If visits to your physical locations are important to your business, use store visit conversion tracking.
Why: Seeing how your video ads influence viewers’ offline actions helps you make more informed decisions about your campaigns.
- If your goal is to drive offline sales, ask your Google salesperson about Google Measurement Partners.
Why: Some marketers prefer to rely on third-party measurement solutions to understand how their video ads influenced viewers’ offline purchase behavior.
Learn more about using video ads to drive impact based on your marketing objectives.