Optimize Display campaigns on the Google Display Network
This guide offers display advertising best practices for connecting customers with relevant ads across the web. Learn tips for reaching the right audiences, choosing the right message and bids and optimizing for performance.
1. Set your display campaigns up for success
- Check that you’re accurately tracking website and app conversions.
Why: Your ability to optimize is only as good as the data you're using.
Get started: Check your conversion tracking tag.
- Keep search and display campaigns separate for more control.
Why: Search and display ads reach consumers in different contexts, managing them separately allows you to optimize for those contexts.
Get started: Create separate campaigns or use Search Network with Display Select to let Google Ads automatically manage.
- Think beyond last-click attribution.
Why: It’s important to account for all of the media touch points that led to a conversion.
Get started: Add view-through conversions to placement reports for a more complete picture of the conversion path.
2. Reach the right audience at the right moment
- Re-engage past site visitors with remarketing.
Why: On average, consumers visit websites 6 times in the purchase process－re-engage them when they’re most likely to buy.1
Get started: Learn how to reach customers using remarketing with our Display remarketing guide.
- Enhance your remarketing with similar audiences.
Why: This can grow your remarketing conversions by up to 38%, compared to using remarketing alone.2
Get started: Add similar audiences to reach people similar to your site visitors.
- Find additional customers with keyword targeting and in-market audiences.
Why: Both can cost effectively deliver new and highly-qualified customers.
Get started: Choose keywords for your Display Network campaigns.
Why: You can drive more volume based on your performance goals.Read more about choosing the right audiences.
3. Match the message and bid to the moment
- Use both responsive and image ads in multiple sizes and formats.
Why: On average, advertisers see 50% more conversions at a similar cost-per-acquisition when they use both responsive ads and image ads, compared to image ads alone.3
Get started: Use the Ad Gallery to build beautiful ads quickly and for free.
- Automate your bids.
Why: Save time and improve performance.
Get started: Apply an automated bid strategy to your Display campaigns.Read more about choosing the right display ads and bids.
4. Optimize for better display performance
- Exclude underperforming site categories and placements.
Why: Avoid content that your target audience isn’t likely to visit.
Get started: Use the exclusions on site categories and placements that your target customers are not likely to visit.
1 Source: Google/Nielsen Study: Mobile Path to Purchase: Five Key Findings, November 2013
2 Source: Calculated median from internal Google data, March 2015.
3 Source: Google internal data, January 2017.