About Shopping campaigns and Product Listing Ads
If you're a retailer, you can use Shopping campaigns to promote your online and local inventory, boost traffic to your website or local store, and find better qualified leads. To get started, you'll send us your product data with Merchant Center and create a campaign in AdWords. Then we'll use your campaign to create ads on Google and around the web where potential customers can see what you're selling. We call these placements Product Listing Ads, because they're more than a text ad--they show users a photo of your product, plus a title, price, store name, and more. These ads give users a strong sense of the product you're selling before they click the ad, which gives you more qualified leads.
- More traffic: Many businesses experience significantly higher clickthrough rates (CTR) with Product Listing Ads compared to text ads shown in the same location for shopping-related searches. In some cases, advertisers have experienced double or triple standard clickthrough rates.
- Better qualified leads: As a merchant, you can increase the quality of your leads by featuring product information directly in your ads to help shoppers make informed purchase decisions. This makes shoppers more likely to complete a purchase on your site. For example, when Sally does a Google search for "fish bowl," she might see Product Listing Ads from merchants selling fish bowls. She can tell which fish bowl fits her taste just by looking at the picture. She can also quickly see whether the fish bowl fits her budget by looking at the price. This means that by the time Sally clicks on the ad, she has a good sense of the product and its cost, which puts her further down the purchasing funnel compared to the average web user.
- Easy retail-centric campaign management: Instead of keywords, Product Listing Ads use the product attributes you defined in your Merchant Center data feed to show your ads on relevant searches. Browse your product inventory directly in AdWords and create product groups for the items you want to bid on.
- Broader presence: More than one of your Product Listing Ads can appear for a given user search and, if relevant, a Product Listing Ad and a text ad can also appear at the same time. This means your reach with shoppers for a single search could double.
- Powerful reporting and competitive data: See how your products are performing at any level of granularity you want. For example, you can see how many clicks a particular brand of high-heeled shoes got just by filtering your products view -- no new product groups needed. Use benchmarking data to get insights into your competitive landscape. Identify growth opportunities with impression share data and the Bid Simulator tool.
How Shopping campaigns and Product Listing Ads work
Product Listing Ads use your existing Merchant Center product data -- not keywords -- to decide how and where to show your ads. The product data you submit through Merchant Center contains details about the products you sell. We'll use these details when we match a user's search to your ads, making sure to show the most relevant products.
You manage your Product Listing Ads in AdWords using Shopping campaigns, a simple and flexible way to organize and promote your Google Merchant Center product inventory within AdWords.
Where your ads appear
Here's where you might see your Product Listing Ads across the web:
- Google Shopping (in select countries)
- Google Search, next to search results and separate from text ads
- Google Search Partner websites, including YouTube and Image Search in some countries (if your campaign is set to include search partners)
Your Product Listing Ads can appear at the same time as text ads, because we want to give shoppers access to the full variety of products that match their search. This means that shoppers can find the best match before clicking through to make a purchase, which might help you close the sale.
If you sell ballet slippers and have a text ad for ballet equipment and a Product Listing Ad for ballet shoes, a customer could see both of your ads on the same Google Search results page.
Availability by country
Product Listing Ads can appear on Google Shopping, Google Search, and some Google Search Partners in these countries: the US, the UK, Australia, Germany, France, Japan, Italy, the Netherlands, Brazil, Spain, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic.
Product Listing Ads only appear on Google Search and some Google Search Partners in these countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, India, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Turkey.
Just like other AdWords ad formats, your Product Listing Ads participate in an ad auction, but you'll only be charged whenever someone takes one of these actions with your ad:
- The user clicks an ad that leads directly to the landing page on your website
- The user clicks an ad that leads to the Google-hosted landing page for your local inventory
This is known as cost-per-click (CPC). When you're creating your Shopping campaign, you'll decide how much you're willing to pay for each click.
You'll only pay the minimum amount necessary to rank higher than the advertiser immediately below you, and you'll often pay less than your maximum bid. Learn more about cost-per-click (CPC) bidding.