Set up Maximize clicks for Shopping campaigns
If you want to get the most clicks for your budget, use the automated Maximize Clicks bid strategy for your Shopping campaign. You set a budget, and Google Ads does the rest.
This article explains how to set up the Maximize Clicks for your Shopping campaign.
Before you begin
If you're not sure which automated bid strategy to use with your Shopping campaign, first learn about automated bidding for Shopping campaigns.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
Step 1: Set up a "maximize clicks" bid strategy in your account
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the three dot menu in the upper right hand corner.
- In the Shared library section, click Portfolio bid strategies.
- To create a bid strategy, click the + button, and select the Maximize Clicks bid strategy. Configure your bid strategy based on the options available for Maximize Clicks
Step 2: Apply the bid strategy to your campaign
Tip: Adjusting Maximize Clicks for mobile devices
When Maximize Clicks raises and lowers your bids, it doesn’t take into account differences between clicks from mobile devices and clicks from desktop or tablet devices. Since the conversion rate for mobile devices is often different than for desktop and tablet devices, you might want to set a mobile bid adjustment to gain better control over when your ads appear on mobile. Maximize Clicks will incorporate your mobile bid adjustment along with its own bid adjustments. Learn more about setting mobile bid adjustments.
Tip: Setting maximum bids
Maximize Clicks will automatically adjust your bids to deliver the maximum clicks for your budget. You can ensure that you never pay more than what you are comfortable with for a click by setting a CPC bid limit. Note that if your CPC bid limits are too low, your bid strategy might not be able to help you achieve your goal. Learn more about setting CPC bid limits.
Once you apply the Maximize Clicks bid strategy to your campaign, you can start to monitor the bid strategy's performance. Here are some tips for monitoring performance:
- Look at the number of clicks to verify you’re getting more clicks for your budget than before. Note, however, that a before-and-after comparison is not the most accurate since clicks can naturally fluctuate over time.
- Make sure that you have enough data to evaluate the strategy’s performance. Ideally, you'd give the strategy a few days or weeks to start performing.
- Consider that a number of factors may affect your results over a period of time. For example, the number of clicks you can get with your budget can be affected by holidays, weekends, special events, changes to your product data, and your competitors in the auction.
- Consider your click share. If your click share is very high, you may be getting all the possible traffic and the Maximize Clicks bid strategy might not bring you significantly more traffic.