Tab-delimited data feed instructions
This document includes instructions for creating a tab-delimited data feed with a spreadsheet program. If you prefer to work with a text editing program, you can skip these steps; just be sure to follow our format requirements below. For instructions on creating an XML data feed instead, please see the following links: RSS 2.0, Atom 1.0.
To see example files, please click either Tab delimited (.txt) or Tab delimited (.xls). Note that we are not able to process files in the .xls format - the .xls example file is for illustration purposes in a spreadsheet program.
Create your Data Feed
Step 1: Open your spreadsheet program
Using a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel makes it easy to create a feed and convert it to the proper format.
Step 2: Create a header row
On the first row of the spreadsheet, enter the names of the attributes that describe your items, each in its own column. Include all the required attributes and any relevant recommended attributes.
An example using all the required attributes in the header row would look like this:
Step 3: Enter your item information
In the rows below the header row, enter information about your items for the attributes you've chosen. Each item should be listed in a separate row, and its information divided into the appropriate columns. (For example, an item's description should be in the same column as the "description" header.)
|2||123-uk||Toy Bear||A yellow teddy bear||12||new||http://www.example.com|
|2||1246||Blender||12-speed, black blender||24.99||used||http://www.example.com|
Step 4: Convert your spreadsheet
Most spreadsheet programs allow you to export data into a tab-delimited file. Either of the options below will create a file with a name ending in the ".txt" extension. This is the file you should submit to Google Merchant Center.
- For Microsoft Excel: Save the spreadsheet as tab-delimited text (.txt) by using the Save File as command in the File menu and specifying the format type. In the Save as type drop-down box, select the Text (tab delimited)(*.txt) option.
- For Google Spreadsheets: Select Export from the File menu, choosing .txt as the file. Your tab-delimited text file will be displayed in a new window. Select the Save as command from your browser's File menu to save as a .txt text file.
If you've already registered a feed in your Google Merchant Center account, use the same filename.
Step 5: Submit your data feed
Check that your file meets our format requirements below and submit it to us.
- The file must be tab-delimited plain text.
- The first line of the file is the header -- it must contain attribute names, separated by tabs.
- One item per line; separate each attribute in that line by a tab.
- Do not include trailing tabs at the end of lines.
- Do not include tabs or line breaks in the attributes themselves.