Use the product highlight
[product_highlight] attribute to provide short bulleted lists of the most relevant highlights of your products. The highlights you submit should provide shoppers with easily consumable, quick-to-scan sentence fragments that answer the most common consumer questions or that focus on the most important attributes of the product.
In this article
When to use
Optional for all products
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure Google understands the data you're submitting.
Learn when and how to submit your product data in English
|Type||String (Unicode characters. Recommended: ASCII only)|
|Limit||1 - 150 characters (per highlight)|
|Repeated field||Yes. Recommended 4-6, Minimum 2, Maximum of 100|
|File format||Example entry|
To format your data for Content API, see the Content API for Shopping.
These are the requirements you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in your Merchant Center account.
- Each product must have at least 2 and at most 100 product highlights. We recommend 4-6 product highlights for each of your products.
- Describe only the product itself. Don't describe other aspects like details about compatible products, accessories, other similar products available. Don't provide your business’s history or policies.
- Use professional and grammatically correct language. Correct grammar is easier to understand and gives you a more professional appearance, which can lead to more clicks. Also avoid gimmicky ways of drawing attention such as all caps, symbols, and promotional text. Learn more about the editorial & professional requirements
- Don’t use words from foreign languages, unless they’re well understood such as a product with a foreign name or title.
- For example, “sushi” is a word well understood outside of Japan.
- Write foreign words using the alphabet of your target language. For example, avoid Japanese characters when targeting the United States. Letters with accents (for example, “Les Clés") are allowed.
- Don’t use foreign characters for gimmicky purposes. This technique is common in spam and untrustworthy ads and product listings. For example: (ಠ_ಠ)
- Don’t include comparisons or details about other products. For example, don't mention things like "even better than X." Let customers research other products on their own.
- Don’t include references to categorization systems. For example, don’t include "Toys & Games > Toys > Dolls, Playsets & Toy Figures > Dolls." Include this information using the Google product category
[google_product_category]or product type
- Don’t include links to your store or other websites. Use the link
[link]attribute to include a link to your product's landing page.
- Don’t use capital letters for emphasis. Capitalized text is common in spam and untrustworthy ads and product listings. You should still use capitalization when it’s appropriate, including for abbreviations, phone numbers, countries, and currency. For example, "ADHD", "UNICEF", "1-555-CALL-NOW", "UK", and "USD".
- Don’t include promotional text. Don’t add information such as price, sale price, sale dates, shipping, delivery date, other time-related information, or your company’s name. Include this information with the other attributes such as the sale price
- Don't list keywords or search terms. Only list relevant details and specifications of the product.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimize your product data for performance.
- Don't duplicate data within the attribute.
- Don't use search engine optimization (SEO) keywords.
- Check for errors in grammar, spelling, or capitalization.