taxattribute lets you provide the tax rate of a product. Use this attribute when you need to override the tax settings that you set up in Merchant Center.
When to use
Required for the United States when you need to override the account tax settings that you set up in the Merchant Center. This attribute exclusively covers US sales tax. Don't use for other taxes, such as value-added tax (VAT) or import tax.
If you need to modify or override the tax for a single item, use the
tax attribute, which will always override account level tax settings. Keep in mind that instead of submitting this attribute, we recommend that you set up tax rates through Merchant Center settings. Learn more about tax settings
The tax attribute uses 4 sub-attributes:
rate(required): Tax rate as a percentage of the price (Number, e.g., 8.75).
country(optional): The country an item can be delivered to. Currently, tax settings are available only to products targeting the United States. Include
country(US) when including
tax_ship(optional): Whether you charge tax on shipping (
- To submit an area, submit only 1 of the 4 available options:
region(optional): Submit a state. Submit an ISO 3166-2 code without country prefix (e.g., CA).
postal_code(optional) A postal code range. Submit 1 of the following:
- A postal code (e.g., 94043)
- A range of postal codes (e.g., 94002-95460)
- A range of postal codes using a prefix with a wildcard (
*) (e.g., 94*)
- A range of postal codes using 2 prefixes with wildcards (
*) (e.g., 94*-95*)
location_id(optional): Submit a numeric criteria ID of your location defined by Google Ads API (AdWords API) (e.g., for California use 21137).
location_group_name(optional): Submit a location group that you set up and name through your Merchant Center settings. Use those group names here (e.g., West Coast). Learn more about setting up delivery zones
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure we understand the data you're submitting.
Unicode characters (Recommended: ASCII only)
|Repeated field||Yes. Submit up to 100 times to specify taxes for different locations|
|File format||Example entry|
The format of this attribute depends on what values you're submitting and their specific order. Include
For example, to submit country, postal code, and rate:
If you don’t include sub-attributes in the name, we’ll assume that your attribute values include all 4 sub-attributes in this order:
Format the value by submitting the value of each sub-attribute listed in the same order as in the name and separated with a colon ( : ). Don’t use quotation marks. For example:
For multiple locations, submit the attribute (with the same name) multiple times. For example:
If you don’t want to provide an optional sub-attribute (like
Include a separate attribute for each tax group.
To format your data for Content API, see the Content API for Shopping.
These are the requirements you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page in your Merchant Center account.
- Make sure to cover every location in the US (even locations where you do not charge tax) if you submit all tax settings through the tax attribute. Specify that you charge no tax for a location by setting the
- Submit complete and correct tax information and costs. If you can’t provide accurate tax cost, match or overestimate the tax users visiting your site would pay.
- Comply with local laws when submitting tax information.
To optimize your product data's performance, follow these best practices:
- Use tax settings in the Merchant Center. With these settings, you can create simple flat rates or let Google automatically compute tax rates for your products. Use the
taxattribute as a last resort to override the settings you created in Merchant Center.
- Use the
taxattribute for products that are tax exempt or have a unique tax rate. Using your account tax settings, you can’t add reduced tax rates or exemptions for individual products. Google calculates tax rates for tangible personal property and doesn't support reduced tax rates or tax exemptions.
- Indicate if you charge tax on shipping. Charging tax on shipping might be legally required for some tax authorities. You can add tax on shipping through the
tax_shipsub-attribute or through your account settings. Learn more about tax settings
Review each section closely to determine if the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in Diagnostics in your Merchant Center account.
- Don’t use the
taxattribute when targeting countries that aren’t the United States. Learn more about tax settings
- Submit the tax rate charged to an individual. Taxes must be accurate for individual users since we don’t specifically support business-to-business (B2B) purchases at this time. If you have special conditions for commercial buyers, you can add these to your website, but don’t submit these rates in your product data.
To format the name, include
tax, and then in parentheses add the names of the sub-attributes that you’re submitting separated by a colon (
For example, to submit country, postal code, and rate:
Format the value by submitting the value of each sub-attribute listed in the same order as in the name and separated with a colon (
: ). For example:
You can also just submit the price. For example:
If you don’t include sub-attributes in the name, still submit values for all 4 sub-attributes in this order:
If you don’t want to provide an optional sub-attribute (like region) for a particular product, then still add a colon (
: ), but leave the text blank. For example:
You can submit up to 100 tax values per item to indicate different costs for individual locations. To submit multiple locations, submit the attribute (with the same name) multiple times. For example:
To submit multiple delivery groups for an XML feed, include a separate attribute for each delivery group. You can submit up to 100
tax attributes for each product.
You can submit postal codes through the
postal_code sub-attribute. There are several different ways you can submit these values.
Submit single postal code
Include the entire code. For example:
Submit a range of postal codes
Include 2 full codes separated by a hyphen (
- ). For example:
Submit a range of codes using a wildcard
Include any number of digits followed by an asterisk (
* ). This example would include all codes starting in 94. For example:
Submit a range of codes using 2 prefixes with wildcards
Use 2 prefixes with asterisks (
* ) and a hyphen (
- ) to create a more narrow range. Use the same number of digits for both prefixes. For example:
Indicate that a product isn’t taxable, by setting the rate sub-attribute to 0. For example: