Optimized targeting grants your campaign flexibility to explore which customers have the highest likelihood to convert within your campaign goals. When you use optimized targeting, you can optionally provide targeting signals like keywords or audience segments. These signals are used as a starting point by our system to find the best-performing criteria to serve your ads on.
Optimized targeting may reduce or stop serving traffic on your signals if it finds better performing traffic elsewhere.
In this article, you'll learn how to use and review performance for optimized targeting in Display, Discovery, and Video campaigns.
Things to know
Optimized targeting respects your existing brand safety settings (such as content exclusions). You don’t need to make additional changes to your brand safety settings when using optimized targeting.
- If you're focused on generating site traffic, consider using optimized targeting with Maximize conversions and using site visits as your conversion type.
- If you're focused on conversions, consider using Maximize conversions or Target CPA with optimized targeting. Using these bidding strategies is recommended for optimized targeting because they use your conversion data to get you the most value for your campaign.
Optimized targeting needs time to learn and find audience segments that are more likely to convert.
- For new campaigns, wait until the campaign has at least 50 conversions or has been active at least 2 weeks before evaluating performance.
- For existing campaigns, wait a minimum of 2 weeks before evaluating performance.
Change optimized targeting settings
- In Google Ads, find your campaign and select it.
- Select the ad group that you'd like to adjust targeting for.
- In the page menu on the left, select Settings.
- Select Edit ad group targeting.
- Below "Settings", expand the "Optimized targeting" section.
- Select the checkbox to turn optimized targeting on or off.
- Select Save.
Review performance for campaigns that use optimized targeting
- In Google Ads, select a campaign.
- (Optional) Select an ad group in the campaign to see performance at a more granular level.
- In the page menu on the left, select Audiences or Keywords.
- Scroll to the bottom of the statistics table until you see a row labeled "Total: Expansion and optimized targeting".
When reviewing your performance, keep in mind that optimized targeting extends your reach to people who otherwise wouldn't have seen your ads. The conversions that you get through optimized targeting are additional conversions that you wouldn't otherwise have received.
Your initial average cost-per-action (CPA) may fluctuate. Over time, optimized targeting will learn which targeting works best for you and optimize your reach at a more consistent average CPA to drive the most possible conversions.
If your ad groups have different kinds of targeting, viewing the ad group performance will allow you to compare clicks, impressions, and conversions for each ad group.