Customer Match lets you target ads to your customers using the data they share with you. You create a CSV file including customer data and upload it into Google Ads to incorporate this targeting into your campaigns.
To successfully use your customer data file, it’s important to ensure that you format your customer data file correctly.
If you run into any issues with the upload process, learn how to fix customer list issues.
This article explains how to upload your data files to create customer lists.
Before you begin
For an overview of how Customer Match works, read about Customer Match.
For more information about how Google uses the data files you upload and how the matching process works, read How Google uses Customer Match data.
The following instructions will guide you through the process of uploading a customer customer data file to create a new Customer list.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library” click Audience manager.
- Click Audience lists from the Page Menu on the left.
- Click the plus button to create a new audience list.
- Choose “Customer list.”
- Choose whether to upload a plain text data file or a hashed data file.
- If you choose to upload customer data in plain text, the private customer data in your file (Email, Phone, First Name, and Last Name) will be hashed on your computer using the SHA256 algorithm before sending it securely to Google's servers. Country and Zip data won’t be hashed.
- If you choose to hash your data, make sure it meets the requirements described in the Formatting guidelines for Customer list data files of this article.
- Choose your new file.
- If you agree, check the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google's policies.”
- Set a membership duration. The default membership duration is unlimited, but you can set a custom time limit.
- Click Upload and create list.
- You can view the progress of uploading your data file under "Audiences Lists". This process may take up to 48 hours to complete.