This policy applies to advertisers using Customer Match for campaigns on Search, Shopping, Display, YouTube, Discovery, or Gmail.
Requirements for using Customer MatchCustomer Match is not available for all advertisers. To use Customer Match, your account must have:
- A good history of policy compliance.
- A good payment history.
- At least 90 days history in Google Ads.
- More than USD 50,000 total lifetime spend. For advertisers whose accounts are managed in currencies other than USD, your spend amount will be converted to USD using the average monthly conversion rate for that currency.
If your account does not meet the above criteria, then your account is currently ineligible to use Customer Match.
Collecting customer data
When using Customer Match, you may only upload customer information that you collected in the first-party context—i.e., information you collected from your websites, apps, physical stores, or other situations where customers shared their information directly with you.
- You collected information from a customer who had purchased an item from your website.
- You collected information from a customer who registered to receive marketing messages through your apps.
- You collected information from a customer who signed up for your loyalty program in your physical store.
You must also:
- Only use Google’s approved API or interface to upload customer data; and
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including any self-regulatory or industry codes that may apply.
You are prohibited from:
- Running ads that collect personally identifiable information, except for Gmail ads with HTML forms that comply with the Gmail ads policy;
- Uploading information for any customer who is under the age of 13 or that was collected from any site or app directed to children under the age of 13;
- Creating ad content which implies knowledge of personally identifiable information or sensitive information about your customers (see below for more information);
- Using a customer list that targets an overly narrow or specific audience. For example, you can’t combine a customer list with other targeting criteria (such as geographic limitations) if it results in an ad targeted to a relatively small number of users;
- Advertising for products related to sensitive information, such as pharmaceutical products, in a Customer Match campaign (see below for more information); or
- Running any ads that are prohibited by our Google Ads policies.
Restrictions on sensitive categories
As defined under the Personalized advertising policy principles applicable to remarketing, advertisers can’t use sensitive interest categories to target ads to users or to promote advertisers’ products or services. These policies also apply to remarketing with Customer Match.
Additionally, you can't use data from your Customer Match campaigns to identify sensitive interest categories related to your customers.
For comprehensive information about what’s considered a sensitive interest category under Personalized ads and Customer match policies, see the Personalized advertising policies.
What happens if you violate our policies
- Compliance review: We may review your business for compliance with the Customer Match policy at any time. If we contact you to request information related to compliance, you're required to respond in a timely manner and swiftly take any corrective action needed to comply with our policies. If you’re a manager account, we may also contact your managed accounts to verify compliance.
- Notification of non-compliance: If we believe that you're violating Customer Match policy, we'll contact you to request corrective action. If you fail to make the requested corrections within the time period given, you may be denied the ability to use Customer Match, or your access to your Google Ads accounts may be suspended. In cases of serious or repeated violations, your account may be suspended immediately and without notification. Learn more about suspended accounts.
Need help?If you have questions about this policy, let us know:
Contact Google Ads Support