As announced on November 1, 2022, similar audiences will be transitioned to more durable solutions. Starting August 1, 2023, similar segments will be gradually removed from all ad groups and campaigns in Google Ads and should be completed by the end of the month.
- Display, Discovery, and Video action campaigns that are still using similar audience segments after August 1, 2023 will be opted into optimized segments.
- Learn more about how to Use optimized segments.
- Video campaigns with “Product and brand consideration” or “Brand awareness and reach” objectives will be opted into audience expansion.
- Learn more about Using audience expansion.
- If you opted out before August 1, 2023, ad groups and campaigns targeting similar segments will be paused. Make sure to unpause them and add relevant targeting criteria.
Learn more about the Changes to audience segments.
To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll find the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place. Click the Campaigns icon and open the “Audiences, keywords and content” tab and click Audiences. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more About Audience reporting.
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the Updates to Audience terms and phrases.
Starting soon, you’ll find changes to some of the names in your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” are now referred to as “audience segments,” and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”.
Here are changes that you’ll find:
|Affinity (audience)||Affinity (segment)|
|In-market (audience)||In-market (segment)|
|Life event (audience)||Life event (segment)|
|Detailed demographics (audience)||Detailed demographics (segment)|
|Custom audience||Custom segment|
|Combined audience||Combined segment|
|Similar audience||Similar segment|
|Combined list||Custom combination segment|