Create a customer list
Customer Match lets you target ads to your customers using the data they share with you. You create a CSV file including customer data and upload it into Google Ads to incorporate this targeting into your campaigns.
To successfully use your customer data file, it’s important to ensure that you format your customer data file correctly.
If you run into any issues with the upload process, learn how to fix customer list issues.
This article explains how to upload your data files to create customer lists.
Before you begin
For an overview of how Customer Match works, read about Customer Match.
For more information about how Google uses the data files that you upload and how the matching process works, read How Google uses Customer Match data.
In the previous AdWords experience, you can only use email matching for Customer Match.
You can use all data types specified in the formatting guidelines below in the new Google Ads experience. Determine which Google Ads experience that you’re using.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose “previous” below. Learn more
The following instructions will guide you through the process of uploading a customer data file to create a new Customer list.
- Click the tool icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Under the section labelled “Shared library” click Audience manager.
- Click Audience lists from the Page Menu on the left.
- Click the plus button to create a new audience list.
- Choose “Customer list”.
- Choose whether to upload a plain text data file or a hashed data file.
- If you choose to upload customer data in plain text, the private customer data in your file (Email, Phone, First Name and Surname) will be hashed on your computer using the SHA256 algorithm before sending it securely to Google's servers. Country and Postcode data won’t be hashed.
- If you choose to hash your data, make sure that it meets the requirements described in the Data file upload requirements section of this article.
- Choose your new file.
- If you agree, select the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google's policies”.
- Set a membership duration. The default membership duration is unlimited, but you can set a custom time limit.
- Click Upload and create list.
- You can view the progress of uploading your data file under 'Audiences Lists'. This process may take up to 48 hours to complete.