Add several users at once
Performing this task requires being signed in as a Super Admin.
Before people on your team can sign in and access your Google for Work services, they need a user account. If you have a lot of people, you can add their accounts all at once from a spreadsheet. See also these other Options for adding users.
To add several users from a spreadsheet:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Click Users.
- On the Users page, click and select the Add multiple users option.
- Download the sample CSV (comma separated values) file. Do not close the dialog box.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet application, such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel. The file contains columns for attributes that appear on the user profile in the Admin console and in Gmail contacts. For each user you want to add, you must enter values in the First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password columns. (That information is required for each user.) The other columns aren't required, so you can enter values in them or leave them blank.
Tip: To add multiple phone numbers or addresses for a user, add additional columns to the spreadsheet, changing the number in the header accordingly. For example, to add a second home address, create a new column with the header Home Address 2.
- Save the CSV file, then upload it using the dialog box.
If you created an organizational structure, be aware that the bulk upload feature adds all new users to the top-level organization. If any of the users belong in a suborganization, you'll need to move the users after uploading them.Essentials
- Be sure to save your table as a CSV file type.
- All passwords must be at least eight characters.
- To upload non-ASCII or double byte usernames, first save the CSV file in UTF-8 including BOM.
- You cannot load 500 user accounts at once. Split your table into smaller chunks before saving each one as a CSV file.
- Remember that it can take up to 24 hours for new user accounts to appear in the searchable domain directory. Save time by splitting your uploads into smaller batches. You can also hide a user from the Google Apps Directory by changing the sharing options.
- If you have an LDAP directory, you can use Google Apps Directory Sync to synchronize your user data with Google Apps.
If you're having trouble uploading a user list, find the error message you received below for more information:
- File errors:
- Empty file -- your file contains no information
- Invalid header -- the columns in your file should be titled First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password
- User errors:
- Line doesn't have 4 columns -- one of the column fields is empty
- Reserved username -- certain accounts are reserved, and can't be created as usernames (example: abuse, postmaster)
- validation -- an entry contains unacceptable characters
- Creation errors:
- Internal error -- please try again later
- Quota exceeded -- you do not have enough user space to create the accounts listed in your file
- Formatting or other errors -- please visit our discussion board for quick answers from fellow administrators.
You can save time when you need to create and/or edit multiple accounts -- just save a user list in a spreadsheet for quick uploading. Important things to remember:
- If you include an existing username in your file, the user's password, and first and last name will be updated.
- Depending on the number of accounts you are creating, uploading this information will take time. You will receive an email report once the users have been created.
- Format your file as a table and include headers to define each field, like this:
Cell A1: First Name | Cell B1: Last Name | Cell C1: Email Address | Cell D1: Password
Enter each user's information in the table and save the document type as a .csv (comma-separated values) file. If prompted to verify your selection, click Yes or OK.