Share documents with external domains Beta
You can invite non-Google domains to collaborate on your Google Drive files and folders as visitors. You control whether visitors can edit, comment on, or only view the file. You can also stop sharing the file at any time.
Note: You can't share files from a shared drive.
If you get a visitor invitation to edit a Google file
You can use the Google file for 7 days after you enter a verification code. To reopen a file after 7 days, enter the code again.
- In your email inbox, open the email from Google.
- Click Open in Docs.
- Click Send verification code.
- In your email inbox, open the verification code email.
- Copy the verification code.
- Open the other browser tab, and enter the verification code in the box provided.
You can now view, comment, or edit the shared Google Doc. Learn how to add, edit, reply, or delete comments.
Tip: To find the document again, open the email from Google.
Note: If you don't want to be a visitor, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to share a file with an external domain
You can share documents with select non-Google accounts. Contact your administrator to see which select accounts you can share with. Visitors can edit, comment on, or view your document for 7 days after verifying their email address. To reopen a file after 7 days, they can enter the code again.
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Images, PDFs, Office files