To apply different settings to a set of users or Chrome devices, place them in their own organizational unit below your top-level organization. You can then apply settings to just that organizational unit.
An organizational unit is simply a group that an administrator can create in the Admin console to apply settings to a specific set of users. By default, all users are placed in the top-level (parent) organizational unit. Child organizational units inherit the settings from the parent.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
Note: You can’t move yourself as the administrator to another organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Directory Organizational units.
- Hover over the organization you want to modify and click Create new organizational unit .
- Enter a name under Name of organizational unit.
Note: The forward slash character "/" isn't allowed in names of organizational units. In the Admin console, you'll get an error message. If you use GCDS, G Suite Admin SDK, or School Directory Sync to create or rename an organizational unit, the "/" is replaced by an underscore "_".
- (Optional) To add a description of the organization, enter it under Description.
- (Optional) To place the organization under a different parent organization:
- Under Parent organizational unit, click Edit .
- Choose a parent organization.
- Click Done.
- Click Create.
You can also add an organization by clicking Add a the top left of the Organizational units page.