To apply different settings to a set of users or Chrome devices, place them in their own organizational unit below your top-level organization. You can then apply settings to just that organizational unit.
An organizational unit is simply a group that an administrator can create in the Admin console to apply settings to a specific set of users. By default, all users are placed in the top-level (parent) organizational unit. Child organizational units inherit the settings from the parent.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
Note: You can’t move yourself as the administrator to another organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Menu DirectoryOrganizational units.
- Hover over the organization you want to modify and click Create new organizational unit .
- Enter a name under Name of organizational unit.
Note: The forward slash character "/" isn't allowed in names of organizational units. In the Admin console, you'll get an error message. If you use GCDS, Google Workspace Admin SDK, or School Directory Sync to create or rename an organizational unit, the "/" is replaced by an underscore "_".
- (Optional) To add a description of the organization, enter it under Description.
- (Optional) To place the organization under a different parent organization:
- Under Parent organizational unit, click Edit .
- Choose a parent organization.
- Click Done.
- Click Create.
You can also add an organization by clicking Add a the top left of the Organizational units page.