Add several users at once
Before people on your team can sign in and use your organization's Google services (for example, G Suite or Cloud Identity), they need a user account. If you have many users, you can add their accounts all at once from a spreadsheet. Also see Options for adding users.
You must be signed in as a super administrator for this task.
Add users from a spreadsheet
Step 1: Download the template file
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- Point to Add new user and click Bulk upload user info .
- Download the sample CSV (comma-separated values) template.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet application, such as Google Sheets or Microsoft® Excel.
The file has columns for the attributes that can appear in each user's profile. Profiles appear in the Admin console and users' Contacts manager.
Step 2: Enter users' information
- For each user you want to add, enter information in these columns:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Org Unit Path
- (Optional) Fill in the other columns only if you want. Otherwise, you can leave them blank.
- For help entering information in the spreadsheet, see Column reference below.
- To enter multiple values in a column, or values with commas or line breaks (such as a physical address), see Essentials below for format requirements.
Step 3: Upload the file
- After you've filled in the spreadsheet, save it as a CSV file.
- On the Users page, point to Add new user and click Bulk upload users .
- Click Attach CSV.
- Click Upload.
Your Tasks list opens automatically and shows the progress of the upload. Once processing is complete, you'll receive an email report.
- If required information is missing from your file, you'll see an error in the "Bulk upload users" dialog. Enter the information in your spreadsheet and upload the CSV file again.
- If an error occurs during file processing, the Tasks list provides a log file that you download for more information about the cause.
Guidelines and tipsEssentials
- File type: Be sure to save your spreadsheet as a CSV file type (.csv).
- Maximum CSV file size: 10 MB. If your file is larger, open it in your spreadsheet program, split the table into separate files, and save each one as a CSV file. Make sure you include the column headings row in all CSV files.
- Multiple values in a column: To enter multiple values in a single column, such as phone numbers and email addresses, separate them with a comma—for example: firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com
- Values with commas, line breaks, or double quotes: Enclose the values in double quotation marks—for example, "123 Anystreet, Anytown"
- Non-ASCII or double byte usernames: To upload these usernames, first save the CSV file in UTF-8 including BOM.
- When users appear in the global Directory: Depending on how many users you upload, it can take up to 24 hours for new user accounts to appear in the global Directory. Save time by splitting your uploads into smaller batches. Note that you can hide a user from the global Directory by changing the sharing options.
- If you have an LDAP directory: You can use Google Cloud Directory Sync to synchronize your Google users, groups, and shared contacts to match the information in your LDAP server.
Note: You can enter information only in the columns available in the downloaded file. You can't add new columns, such as those for custom attributes.
- Email Address (and other email columns): Use the format firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: By default, passwords must be at least 8 characters. You can change password requirements for your organization.
Note: If you're updating existing users and you don't want to change their passwords, make sure the Password column contains the symbols **** (4 asterisks).
- Work/Home Address: If you include commas or line breaks in an address, enclose the address in double quotation marks—for example, "123 Anystreet, Anytown"
- New Primary Email: For editing existing user accounts only. Use this column to specify a new primary email address (username).
- Org Unit Path: Use the format in the following examples to place users in an organizational unit—in either your top-level organization or an organization below it:
- / (for the top-level organization)
- /Students/First Grade
If you're not sure which organization to place users, you can move them to another organization at any time after you upload them.
- Password Hash Function: To use hashed passwords, specify one of the following supported hash functions: MD5, SHA-1, or crypt. The Password column must contain the hashed password. For example, if you use SHA-1 and the hash of password abc is xyz, enter xyz in the Password column.
Tip: You can find utilities on the web to generate hashed passwords using the supported hash functions.
- Building Floor, Floor Name, and Floor Section: To specify this information, follow these guidelines.
- Change Password at Next Sign-In: To require a user to change their password the next time they sign in to their account, enter TRUE. Otherwise, leave the column empty or enter FALSE.
If you're having trouble uploading a user list, find the error message you received below for more information:
- File errors in Bulk upload users dialog box:
- File is empty—Your file contains no information.
- Incorrect file format or unknown column name—The columns in your file should be titled First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Password, and Org Unit Path.
- File must have the "column name" column—A required column is missing.
- Empty column name in row nn—A column that requires information is empty in a specific row.
- File is too large to upload—The CSV file is over 10 MB. For help, see "Maximum file size" under Essentials.
- "Email Address [Required]" contains reserved username in row nn—Certain accounts are reserved and can't be created (example: abuse, postmaster).
- User errors in log file:
- ACTION FAILED - Validation—An entry contains unacceptable characters. For help, see Name and password guidelines.
- ACTION FAILED: UNKNOWN ERROR— Most likely a temporary error occurred. Try uploading the CSV file again.
- ACTION FAILED: INSUFFICIENT LICENSES—Your organization's Google account doesn't have enough licenses for all the new users in your CSV file. Accounts are added starting from the top row until there are no more licenses available. You can purchase more licenses and then upload the remaining users in the CSV file.
- RESERVED USERNAME - Email address—Certain accounts are reserved and can't be created (example: abuse, postmaster).
- Creation errors in Tasks list:
You can save time when you need to edit multiple accounts by downloading a list of accounts from the Admin console. Important things to remember:
- Any information in columns you can edit replaces existing information in the Admin console when you upload the file.
- For columns you don't want to change, you can either delete them (if the column isn't required) or leave the information in the file.
- If you delete information that's not required, but leave the associated column in the spreadsheet, that information is removed from the user's account when you upload the file.
- If you don't want to change a user's password, make sure the Password column contains the symbols **** (4 asterisks).
- To change a user's username, specify the new email address in the column New Primary Email.
Tip: Want someone to do this for you? Get professional help with setup.