You can upload videos to YouTube in a few easy steps. Use the instructions below to upload your videos from a computer or from a mobile device.
Upload in YouTube Studio beta
To upload a video, follow these steps to select your video file and add your video’s details and settings. If you close the upload experience before you finish choosing your settings, your video will be saved as a draft on your Videos page.
- Sign in to YouTube Studio beta.
- At the top right, select Upload .
- Select Upload video (beta).
- Select the file you’d like to upload.
Step 1: Add basic info
- Title: The title of your video.
- Description: Info that appears below your video.
- Thumbnail: The image viewers will see before clicking your video.
Step 2: Choose advanced settings
- Playlists: Add your video to one of your existing playlists, or create a new playlist to add it to.
- End screen: Leave the upload experience to add visual elements to the end of your video.
- Cards: Leave the upload experience to add interactive content to your video.
- Subtitles and closed captions: Upload subtitles and closed captions files.
- Video language: Choose the original video language.
- Tags: Provide descriptive keywords to help correct search mistakes.
- Category: Select the category of your video, such as education or comedy.
- Video location: Add the location where your video was filmed.
- Recording date: Enter the date the video was recorded.
- License and rights ownership: Choose between a standard copyright license or a Creative Commons license.
- Comments and ratings: Choose whether viewers can leave comments on the video. Choose whether viewers can see how many likes and dislikes are on your video.
- Additional settings:
- Age restriction: Age-restrict videos that may not be appropriate for all audiences.
- Embedding: Select if your video can be embedded on a different website.
- Notifications: Indicate if you’d like to send notifications to your subscribers for your new video.
- Paid promotion: Let viewers and YouTube know that your video has a paid promotion.
Step 3: Preview and publish
- Select the Preview & publish tab.
- Select your video’s privacy setting. Unlisted is a good privacy option to use to make sure processing is completed before your audience sees your video.
- Preview your changes and make sure they follow YouTube policies before publishing your video.
If you’re uploading a public video, you’ll also see the option to set up a Premiere. Unlisted and private videos can also be converted to Premieres after upload.
Upload in Creator Studio
Upload videos in Creator Studio Classic
- Sign in to YouTube.
- At the top of the page, click Upload .
- Select Upload video.
- Before you start uploading the video, you can choose the video privacy settings.
- Select the video you'd like to upload from your computer. You can also import a video from Google Photos.
- As the video is uploading, you can edit both the basic information and the advanced settings of the video and decide if you want to notify subscribers (if you uncheck this option, no communication will be shared with your subscribers). Partners will also be able to adjust their Monetization settings. You can have a title up to 100 characters and a description up to 5,000 characters.
- Click Publish to finish uploading a public video to YouTube. If you set the video privacy setting to Private or Unlisted, just click Done to finish the upload or click Share to privately share your video.
- If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other people. You can always publish your video at a later time in your Video Manager.
Learn upload basics
Publish videos with any aspect ratio
- Don’t burn-in bars, as this prevents YouTube from displaying your video in the best way.
- Follow the steps to publish your video.
When you publish your video, YouTube will determine the best way to display the content. Whether the video is vertical, square, or horizontal, the video will fit the screen.
For the best viewing experience on all devices, follow the steps above. The player automatically adjusts to the video on the YouTube mobile app and desktop.
Understand "Published on" date on watch page
- Upload a public video in a timezone ahead of PST
- Schedule a private video to go public at a specific time in a timezone ahead of PST