A video can get a manual claim when a copyright owner uses the Manual Claiming tool to identify their content on YouTube that has been used without their permission.
What to know about manual claims
- Manual claims are different from an automated Content ID claims. Content ID claims are automatically generated when an uploaded video matches another video (or segment of a video) in YouTube's Content ID system.
- The Manual Claiming tool is used by copyright owners who demonstrate a need for the tool and have advanced knowledge of Content ID. The tool gives copyright owners a way to manually claim videos not matched by Content ID.
- Manual claims must have accurate timestamps so creators know exactly what content is being claimed. Copyright owners can’t use the Manual Claiming tool for any other purpose.
What can I do if my video has a manual claim?
Depending on the situation, you have a few options if your video has a manual claim:
If you believe a claim is valid, you can remove the claimed content without having to upload a new video. If done successfully, any of these options will automatically remove the claim:
- Trim out segment: You can edit out the claimed segment from your video.
- Replace song: If the audio in your video is claimed, you may be able to replace your audio track with other audio from the YouTube Audio Library.
- Mute song: If the audio in your video is claimed, you may be able to mute the claimed audio. You can choose whether to mute just the song or all audio in the video.
If you believe a claim is invalid, you can dispute the claim if you're confident you have all the necessary rights to use the claimed content.
If you plan to dispute a claim and were monetizing your video, be sure you understand how monetization works during disputes. Keep in mind that YouTube doesn’t mediate copyright disputes.
If you dispute a claim without a valid reason, the copyright owner may request the removal of your video. If we get a valid copyright removal request for your video, your account will get a copyright strike.