Video thumbnails let your audience view a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options YouTube automatically generates, or upload your own if your account is verified
You can also add thumbnails in the YouTube Studio app on your mobile device.
Add automatic or custom thumbnails
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left menu, select Content.
- Click the video you’d like to edit.
- Select an auto-generated thumbnail or click Upload thumbnail to create a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Click SAVE.
Watch how to add a custom video thumbnail
Watch the following video from the YouTube Creators channel if you’d like a tutorial on how to add a custom video thumbnail on YouTube.
Custom thumbnail best practices
Image size & resolution
Your custom thumbnail image should be as large as possible. It will be used as the preview image in the embedded player. We recommend your custom thumbnails:
- Have a resolution of 1280x720 (with minimum width of 640 pixels).
- Be uploaded in image formats such as JPG, GIF, or PNG.
- Remain under the 2MB limit.
- Try to use a 16:9 aspect ratio as it's the most used in YouTube players and previews.
- Nudity or sexually provocative content
- Hate Speech
- Harmful or dangerous content