You can upload videos to YouTube in a few easy steps. Use the instructions below to upload your videos from a computer or from a mobile device.
Upload videos in YouTube Studio
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- In the top right-hand corner, click CREATE Upload video.
- Select the file you’d like to upload.
Note: You can upload up to 15 videos at a time. Be sure to click Edit on each file to edit your video details.
If you close the upload experience before you finish choosing your settings, your video will be saved as a draft on your Videos page.
Step 1: Add basic info
|Title||The title of your video. This field is required.|
|Description||Info that shows below your video.|
|Thumbnail||The image viewers will see before clicking your video.|
|Playlists||Add your video to one of your existing playlists, or create a new playlist.|
|Audience||To comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), you’re required to tell us whether your videos are made for kids.|
|Age restriction (advanced)||Age-restrict videos that may not be appropriate for all audiences.|
Step 2: Choose advanced settings
|Paid promotion||Let viewers and YouTube know that your video has a paid promotion.|
Add descriptive keywords to help correct search mistakes.
Tags can be useful if the content of your video is commonly misspelled. Otherwise, tags play a minimal role in your video's discovery.
|Language, subtitles, and closed captions (CC)||Choose the original video language. Upload subtitles and closed captions files.|
|Recording date and location||Enter the date the video was recorded and the location where your video was filmed.|
|License and distribution||
Choose between a standard copyright license or a Creative Commons license.
Select if your video can be embedded on a different website. Indicate if you’d like to send notifications to your subscribers for your new video.
|Category||Select the category of your video, such as education or comedy.|
|Comments and ratings||Choose whether viewers can leave comments on the video. Choose whether viewers can see how many likes and dislikes are on your video.|
Step 3: (If eligible) Choose how you want to monetize
Step 4: Add video elements
Step 5: Preview and publish
- To publish your video now: Select Publish and choose your video’s privacy setting.
- Tip: Upload your video as “Unlisted” to make sure there are no monetization or processing issues with your video before you publish it.
- To publish your video later: Select Schedule and pick the date you want your video to be published. Your video will be private until that date.
- To set up a Premiere, check the box next to “Set as premiere”. Unlisted and private videos can also be converted to Premieres after upload.
Watch how to upload videos
Check out the following video from the YouTube Creators channel on how to upload videos.
Learn more about uploading videos
There's a limit to how many videos a channel can upload each day. If you get an error saying “Upload limit reached” when trying to upload a video, try again in 24 hours.
Limits may vary by region or channel history. Copyright strikes do not affect how much you can upload but Community Guidelines strikes do.
Upload audio files
Learn the difference between “upload” and “publish”
Upload vertical videos
Figure out why your video’s upload date and publish date are different
- Upload date: The date you uploaded your video. Shows next to your video on your Videos page.
- Publish date: The date your video became public. Shows beneath your live video and is always in Pacific Standard Time (PST).
These two dates can be different if:
- You uploaded your video as private or unlisted, and made it public later.
- You’re in a time zone that’s ahead of PST.