Google Duo and Google Meet have combined into a new Meet app for video calling and meetings. The Google Duo app and icon are now Google Meet .
Tip: For Meet (original) users, you can uninstall Meet (original) after you migrate to the new Meet app .Use the new Meet app for:
- Meetings: The ability to create or join a cloud-encrypted Google Meet meeting with a link when you're ready.
- 1:1 and group video calling: The classic Duo end-to-end encrypted experience that involves ringing a number or group directly. Your call will have a lock icon and an in-call watermark confirming that it is end-to-end-encrypted.
Available features and encryption methods are different between video calling and meetings.
You're still able to make unlimited video calls with no time limits on your phone. Your conversation history, contacts and messages remain. The new experience supports Google's secure video calling solution:
- At no charge
- With more features to connect with others
On your mobile device, download the new Meet app .
Access calling features in the new Meet app
With the upgrade of Duo to Meet, we've added Duo calling features to the Meet app . The upgrade is an improved app experience and doesn't require a new download for Duo users. You're still able to do everything you've always done in Google Duo, such as:
- Make video calls to friends and family by phone number or email.
- Use fun filters and effects.
- Send messages.
- Ask Google Assistant to call with your existing devices.
Access meeting features in the new Meet app
With the update, you can schedule, create and join a meeting. You also get access to Google Meet's suite of meeting features and capabilities. This update allows you to:
- Use in-meeting chat.
- Add live closed captions in a video call.
- Apply virtual backgrounds and visual effects.
- Schedule a meeting or set up instant meetings so that people can join when they're ready.
- Engage with larger groups of up to 100 people in a meeting.
Important: You must be signed in with a Google Account in order to try meeting features. Accounts set up with only a phone number can't use meetings.
The Google Duo app and icon are now Google Meet . To make video calls and have meetings in one app, use Google Meet .
- Existing video calling features from Google Duo are here to stay.
- If you used Google Duo or Meet at no cost today, you don't need to pay for the new experience.
- Google Duo conversation history, contacts and messages will remain saved.
- Meet in Gmail will continue to work with no changes.
- Enterprise and education administrators can get more information on how to manage the transition with their users. Learn how to manage calling features for your users.
- To use the combined experience, make sure that your auto-updates are on. Update your app on Android devices.