Remarketing lists let you show ads to people who have interacted with your business and thus target customers who may be highly interested in your products and services. These customers may have visited your website, downloaded your app or seen your YouTube videos. In Google Ads, you can create remarketing lists based on lots of different data sources and behaviour of potential customers.
Learn more about the different ways to remarket with Google Ads
How many people you can reach with a remarketing list is highly dependent on where you would like to show your ads. This article explains why that may happen, and which remarketing lists are compatible.
Before you begin
If you aren't familiar with remarketing, you should read How remarketing works first. You'll learn how to set up a remarketing campaign and get a feel for how lists are created.
In some cases, your list may be ineligible or incompatible with your campaign. There are two reasons why a remarketing list may not work in your campaign:
- Your list does not have enough visitors or users on the selected network in your campaign settings. Learn more about list sizes
- Your list type is incompatible with the selected network in your campaign settings. Below you can learn more about list type compatibility.
List type compatibility
Remarketing lists are grouped by the source of their data into remarketing list types. The most common type of list is "Website visitors", which uses a tag on your website to add people to the list. Below you can find out which list type is compatible to which types of ads.
Bear in mind that you still have to meet the size requirements.
The requirement to serve your remarketing list ads varies based on the target network. The accuracy of the estimated list size will vary depending on your list settings, the length of time since your tag was installed, your campaign settings and other factors.
- Google Display Network must have a minimum of 100 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- Google Search Network must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- YouTube must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- Gmail ads must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days in the Display Network.
- Discovery ads must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
If you have trouble with remarketing lists:
* Some visitors to your website may not be able to be targeted on Google properties. For example, visitors uploaded through Data Management Platforms can't be targeted on Google properties.
Compatibility of similar audiences lists depends on the seed list.
Seed list type
Similar audience list compatibility
|Search||YouTube||Display||Display (Gmail only)|