Exclude specific audiences from your targeting
In addition to reaching specific audiences with your ads, you can exclude unrelated, and therefore unprofitable, audiences. By reaching only the audiences that are relevant to your business, you can help reduce your costs and increase the likelihood your ad will attract clicks and conversions.
This article shows you how to exclude specific audiences if they're not a good match for what you're advertising.
Before you begin
Keep in mind that audience exclusions are only available in certain campaign types:
- "Display Network only" > "Marketing objectives" > "Drive action" > "Buy on your website"
- "Display Network only " > "No marketing objective" > "All features"
- "Display Network only - Remarketing"
- "Display Network only - All features"
- "Search Network with Display Select - All features"
- "Search Network only - All features"
- "Search Network only - Dynamic Search Ads"
How it works
Just as you can improve your keyword list by excluding specific keywords, you can remove specific types of audiences, like remarketing lists or audiences, from your ad group if they're not a good match for what you're advertising.
To exclude audiences at the ad group and campaign level, follow these steps:
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns tab at the top.
- Click All campaigns.
- Click the Display Network tab to exclude audiences from a Display Network campaign, or the Audiences tab to exclude audiences from a Search Network campaign.
- At the bottom of the page, below the statistics table, click +Exclusions.
- Either select an ad group under "Ad group targeting and exclusions" or a campaign under "Campaign exclusions."
- Under "Ad group exclusions" or "Campaign exclusions," select "Interests & remarketing" from the drop-down menu.
- Select as many audiences as you like, either by using "Search by list name" or by clicking the double arrow » to the right of each audience. Your audience will then appear in the "Selected" column.
- Click Save. Your selections are then listed in the "Campaign audience exclusions" table.