As announced on November 1, 2022, similar audiences will be transitioned to more durable solutions. Starting May 1, 2023, there will be changes that will affect the way similar segments are used in Google Ads. Learn more about these Changes to audience targeting.
To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll find the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the “Audiences” tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more about Audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the updates to Audience terms and phrases
Use your data to re-engage people who have previously interacted with your brand or services on mobile or desktop. Your ads are shown to people in this segment as they browse Google or partner websites.
Whether you're looking to drive sales, increase registration, or promote brand awareness, targeting segments comprised of your data can be a strategic component of your advertising plan. Below are a few benefits of using your data:
- Prompt reach/Well-timed targeting: You can show your ads to people who’ve previously interacted with your business right when they’re searching elsewhere and are more likely to make a purchase. You can also help customers find you by showing them your ads when they are actively looking for your business on Google Search.
- Focused advertising: You can create segments comprised of your data to advertise for specific cases. For example, you may target people who added something to their shopping cart but didn’t complete a transaction.
- Large-scale reach: With segments comprised of your data, you can reach people across their devices as they browse over 2 million websites and mobile apps.
- Efficient pricing: You can create high-performance campaigns with automated bidding. Real-time bidding calculates the optimal bid for the person viewing your ad, helping you win the ad auction with the best possible price. There's no extra cost to use Google's auction.
- Easy ad creation: Produce text, image, and video ads for free with Ad gallery. Combine your dynamic remarketing campaign with Ad gallery layouts to scale beautiful ads across all of your products or services.
- Campaign statistics: You’ll have reports of how your campaigns are performing, where your ads are showing, and what price you're paying.
Note: You may disable the collection of your data for users who do not wish to view personalized ads. Learn how to disable the collection of your data for specific users.
Ways to use your data audience segment with Google Ads
- Website visitors: Show ads to your past visitors as they browse sites and apps on the Display Network. Learn more about setting up your data segments
- Dynamic remarketing: Boost your results with dynamic remarketing that leverages, ads that include products or services that people viewed on your website or app. Learn more about dynamic remarketing
- Your data segment for Search ads: Show ads to your past visitors as they do follow-up searches for what they need on Google, after leaving your website. Learn more about your data segments for Search ads
- YouTube users: Show ads to people who have interacted with your videos or YouTube channel as they use YouTube and browse Display Network videos, websites, and apps. Learn more about how to use YouTube segments
- Customer Match: Upload segments of contact information that your customers have given you. When those people are signed into Google, you can show them ads across different Google products.