Create a dynamic remarketing campaign
Dynamic remarketing campaigns are used to show your previous visitors ads for the products or services that they viewed on your website. These campaigns provide you with extra settings and reports specifically for reaching previous visitors.
This article explains how to set up a dynamic remarketing campaign.
Before you start
You can only use dynamic remarketing with "Display Network" campaigns.
Bear in mind that your remarketing tag shouldn't be associated with any personally identifiable or sensitive information. Sensitive categories of websites and apps can't use remarketing. If you're setting up a remarketing campaign and placing the remarketing tag on your website or mobile app, then you need to follow the Policy for advertising based on interests and location.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose Previous below. Learn more
- Sign in to AdWords.
- Click Campaigns.
- Click on +Campaign and select "Display Network only".
- Leave the "Marketing objectives" option selected and tick "Buy on your website".
- Choose a campaign name, bid strategy and budget.
- Expand "Show additional settings".
- Expand "Dynamic ad settings" and tick "Use dynamic ads".
- Click on "Business type" and choose the business type that represents your products or services. If your business type is retail, then select "retail" and link your Google Merchant Centre account. If your business type isn’t listed, then select "Other – custom option".
- Click on Set up remarketing to begin the three-step process for creating your remarketing tag, lists and feed:
- Step 1: AdWords will create an empty feed. You’ll be able to email the link to your feed to either yourself or to your feed specialist, along with instructions on how to complete and upload your feed.
- Step 2: AdWords will create the remarketing tag for you. You'll be able to email the tag to yourself or your webmaster, along with instructions on how to add it to your website. If you use Google Analytics, then you’ll see a tick box to use the tracking code that’s already on your website instead.
- Step 3: AdWords will automatically create 4 or 5 default lists to get you started, so you don't need to create these lists yourself. Default lists include visitors who came to your website but didn't view specific products or services, visitors who viewed search results, visitors who viewed a specific product or service page, visitors who started but didn't complete a conversion and visitors who converted. You can create new lists for your different groups of website visitors later.
- Click on Return to campaign.
- Click on "Feed" and select your new feed.
- Click Save and continue.
- Enter an ad group name and bid.
- On the Remarketing lists tab, you'll find your default remarketing lists added to your ad group.
- Click on Save and continue if you want to create your dynamic display ads, or Skip ad creation if you want to do this later.