Monitor cross-account performance with MCC
With a My Client Center (MCC) manager account, it’s easy to see how all of your managed accounts are performing, whether you’re viewing the data on the screen, or creating custom reports.
Here we’ll explain how to:
- View and filter data on the “Performance” tab
- Manage spend reporting for accounts with multiple currencies
- Create, download, and schedule cross-account performance reports
Viewing data on the “Performance” tab
On your manager account’s “Performance” tab, you'll find many of the statistics columns you have in AdWords, as well as separate columns for Search and Display Network clickthrough rate (CTR), allowing for easier comparison of performance based on network placement. Some columns are added to your table by default, while others you’ll need to add by clicking the Columns button, located above the table.
Use the date range selector to select time periods for viewing statistics, making it easier to limit your view of account statistics. Keep in mind that you can only look at performance statistics for the last 90 days.
Manager account statistics are updated at various times and frequencies throughout the day, depending on the type of statistic. Statistics on the “Performance” tab, such as conversion and CTR data, are updated at least once every three hours. Statistics on the “Budget” tab, such as Budget % spent, are normally updated daily between 5:00 am and 8:00 am in your local time zone (based on your time zone setting). The time-stamp message at the bottom of your manager account dashboard page tells you when statistics were last updated.
Using filters to find the data that interests you the most
You can create a filter to view client columns or labels for all linked accounts. Here’s how:
- From the “Performance” tab, click the Filter button and select Create a filter.
- Select Client column or Label and enter or select the requested information to create your filter.
- Click Apply.
Spend reporting for accounts with multiple currencies
For reporting purposes, the currency used to calculate total spend in a manager account is based on the most commonly used currency among the accounts under that manager account. If a manager account includes sub-manager accounts, the sub-manager accounts’ currencies are factored into selecting the common currency for the top-level manager account’s total spend calculations.
If a sub-manager account has different currencies than a higher-level manager account, its currency totals may be shown in its most common currency (even if it varies from the higher-level manager account’s), but only at the sub-manager account level.
Here are some examples:
Manager accounts without any sub-manager accounts:
Manager account currencies: A manager account manages 10 client accounts, 6 are billed in Euros (EUR), 4 are billed in U.S. dollars (USD).
Common currency for manager account total spend reporting: EUR
Manager account with sub-manager account:
Top-level manager account currencies: The top-level manager account manages 10 client accounts: 6 billed in EUR, 4 are billed in USD.
Sub-manager account currencies: The sub-manager account also manages 10 client accounts: 6 are billed in Brazilian Real (BRL), 3 are billed in USD, 1 is billed in EUR.
Common currency for top-level manager account total spend (including sub-manager account): USD
Common currency for sub-manager account total spend alone: BRL
To calculate the total manager account spend for currencies other than the common currency, we use the exchange rate from the time the cost was accrued.
Please note that all accounts will be billed in their chosen currencies, and will still appear in those currencies when viewing individual accounts. Manager account spend totals are shown for reporting purposes only.
Downloading and scheduling performance reports
From your manager account’s Client reporting tab, you can create, download, and manage a range of performance reports across all of your managed accounts, whether linked directly or indirectly to your top-level manager account, or just the accounts you choose. Then you can schedule the reports to be emailed to users on the account you specify.
We’ll store all of your scheduled reports and up to 100 non-scheduled reports and display them on the ”Client reporting” tab. This total doesn't count against the number of reports you can store in your individual managed accounts' report center. Once you reach the limit, new reports will replace the old reports.
To create a report, go to your manager account’s Client reporting tab, then click +Create report. From there, you’ll be able to customize your report using the options described below. Once you’ve made all of your selections, click Create to generate your report.
Here are all of your options for creating your report:Report types
You can create performance reports for the following areas:
Ad extensions reports:
- App extension performance
- Call extension performance
- Offer extension performance
- Sitelink extension performance
- Campaign-level ad extension performance
- Destination URL performance
- Geographic performance
- User locations performance
- Search term performance
- Paid and organic performance
- Free clicks performance
- Call details performance
Display network reports:
- Topic performance
- Automatic placement performance (URL)
- Automatic placement performance (domain)
- Managed placement performance (URL)
- Managed placement performance (domain)
- Account performance
- Campaign performance
- Ad group performance
- Ad performance
- Keyword performance
- Audience performance
- Auto target performance
- Video campaign performance
You can download your reports in any of the following formats:
- Excel .csv
Choose to run your report from a group of pre-selected date ranges, or select “Custom” to set your own date range. Use the “Compared to” drop-down menu to run a report that compares two different date ranges.
Apply segments to your reports in much the same way as you do in your client accounts. Click Add segment to begin, then select the option you want to segment by, such as “Network,” “Click type,” or “Device.”
You can choose to have your reports display data for all of your managed accounts and campaigns, or just the accounts and campaigns you choose.
- “All accounts and campaigns” - Select this option to shows data for all of your managed accounts and their campaigns.
- “Select accounts and campaigns” - Choose this option to pick the specific managed accounts and campaigns you want included in this report. You can use the search feature to locate specific accounts and campaign. Click + next to the account name to see campaigns. Click Add next to the accounts or campaigns you want to include in this report.
- “Account labels” - Choose accounts by their account labels. Click Add next to the labels you want included in this report.
Reporting update: Removing MCC “Login email” column
On November 6, 2014, we’re removing the “Login email” column from MCC reports. This only affects reports that currently use that column; other reports won’t be affected. We recommend using the “Account,” “Client name,” or “Customer ID” columns to identify your client accounts. If you use any macros or scripts to process your reports that contain the “Login email” column, please make sure to update them to reflect this change
Each type of report has its own set of default columns. You can choose “Default columns for this report type” to see just these default columns, or choose “Select columns” to choose the specific columns you want to see. You’ll be able to view different categories of columns from the “Level of detail” drop-down menu below the “Columns” radio button choices.
Select Level of detail from the dropdown to see these column options related to account information:
- Client name
- Company name
- Customer ID (default)
- Ad group
Select Attributes from the drop-down to see these column options:
- Time zone
- Ad group state
- Campaign state
- Keyword state
- Match type
- Quality score
- Est. first page bid
- Est. top page bid
- Max CPC
- Max CPM
- Destination URL
Select Performance from the drop-down to see these column options:
- Clicks (default)
- Impressions (default)
- Invalid clicks
- Invalid clicks rate
- CTR (default)
- Avg. CPC (default)
- Avg. CPM (default)
- Search impression share
- Search exact match impression share
- Search lost impression share (rank)
- Search lost impression share (budget)
- Display impression share
- Display lost impression share (rank)
- Display lost impression share (budget)
- Cost (default)
- Average position (default)
- Bounce rate
- Avg. page views
- Avg. time on site
- % New Sessions
Select Conversions from the drop-down to see these column options:
- Converted clicks
- Click conversion rate
- Cost/converted click
- Conversion rate
- Cost / conversions
- View-through conversions
- View-through conversion rate
- Total conversion value
- Value / converted click
- Value / conversions
- Conversion value / cost
- Conversion value / click
- Sales conversions
- Sales conversion value
- Leads conversions
- Leads conversion value
- Sign-up conversions
- Sign-up conversion value
- Page view conversion value
- Page view conversions
- Other conversions
- Other conversion value
- Estimated total conversions
- Cost / estimated total conversions
- Estimated total conversion rate
- Estimated total conversion value
- Estimated total conversion value /cost
- Value / estimated total conversions
- Estimated total conversion value / click
- Estimated cross-device conversions
Use filters to include only the data that interests you most in your report.
- Click the first drop-down menu, go to the type of filter you want (Conversions, Performance, Attributes, Level of Detail, Network), and select an option from the list that appears to the right of the arrow.
- Choose the other filter options from the available drop-down menus.
- To create an additional filter for this report, click Add another and follow the steps above.
You can choose to have your report emailed to yourself or to users on the account. Once you’ve clicked +Create report from the ”Client reporting” tab, click Email and schedule report, then choose from the following:
- “No one (no emails needed)” - This is the default option; no emails will be sent.
- “Only me” - The report will be sent to the email address for the client manager who’s signed in to the manager account.
- “All account users with access to view reports” - This report will be sent to any users on the MCC account who are already granted access to view reports.
- “Specific account users and me” - Choose the users on the account you want to receive the report.
Email access to reports is tied to user-access controls for your account. If you want to send the report to someone who doesn't sign in to your manager account directly, you’ll need to add them as an email-only user. Email-only users cannot log into your account; they can only receive account alerts, reports, and other notifications via email.
Here’s how to add an email-only user to your manager account:
- Click the gear icon in the top corner and select Account settings.
- Click Account access in the side navigation.
- Click +User.
- Enter their email address and name (optional).
- Click the “Access level” drop-down menu and select Email only access.
Schedule your report
You can choose to have the report emailed just once (this is the default) or set up a schedule. To create a schedule, click the drop-down menu and select how often you want the report to be sent to recipients you specified above.
Manage your reports
Once you’ve created a report, it’ll appear in the table on your “Client reporting” tab. The table shows you the settings for each report, when it was created, and by which user.
From the “Actions” column of this table, you also have the option to run or edit your report, or create another report that’s similar.
To run a report:
- Click Run in the “Actions” column of the report you want to run.
- Select an end date for the report.
- Click Run.
To edit a report:
- Click Edit in the “Actions” column of the report you want to change.
- Make your changes to any of the options in the “Edit report” window.
- When you’re ready, click Save.
To create a report that’s similar to an existing report:
- Click Create similar in the “Actions” column of the report you want to use as the basis for your new report.
- The “Download and schedule report” window will show settings based on the report you selected. Make changes as needed to create your new report.
- Click Create.
- Learn about cross-account conversion tracking.