About converting currencies for manager accounts
If you use a manager account, you may have accounts that show cost data in a local currency different from the one used by your manager account. With multi-currency reporting, you can convert this local currency data to the manager account’s currency, so that you can more easily analyze costs and performance across accounts. This article explains how multi-currency reporting works.
How it works
In your manager account tabs, if any of your accounts show cost data in a currency different from your manager account currency, you’ll have the option to apply the “Converted Currency” layer to this data. Once you apply this layer, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Tables: See converted currency values below the local currency values in all table columns containing cost data. You’ll also be able to sort and filter using these converted currency values, and see totals for columns in the manager account’s currency.
- Charts: Generate charts using converted currency values
- Report Editor: View converted currency values for aggregate performance data and build reports with the same multi-currency table and chart functionalities above
Keep in mind that when applying the “Converted Currency” layer, you won’t be able to choose “All time,” or a date before May 2003, for your date range.
How cost data is converted from other local currencies
Cost data for accounts in different currencies are converted using the average monthly conversion rate for each month included in the date range you select. Because of this conversion method, the converted amounts you see for managed accounts on a given day may not always be accurate.Example
For example, let’s say the currency used for your manager account is US dollars (USD), but one of your managed accounts uses the British pound (GBP). You want to see, in US dollars, how much the GBP-based account’s spent between February 14 and today, April 14. See the table below for details on how this currency conversion would take place.
|Your selected date range for each month||Amount in GBP||Date range used to find average monthly conversion rate||Average monthly conversion rate (GBP to USD)||Amount in USD|
|2/14 - 2/28||20||2/1 - 2/28||1.2||24|
|3/1 - 3/31||40||3/1 - 3/31||1.1||44|
|4/1 - 4/14||30||4/1 - 4/14||1.2||36|
For your GBP-based account:
- The GBP amount from 2/14 to 2/28 (20 pounds) would be converted to USD using the average monthly conversion rate for February, which was 1.2
- The GBP amount from 3/1 to 3/31 (40 pounds) would be converted using the average monthly conversion rate for March, which was 1.1
- The GBP amount from 4/1 to 4/14 (30 pounds) would be converted using the average monthly conversion rate for April (based only on the 14 available days), which was 1.2