G Suite Known Issues
See the Google Cloud Search Help Center.
See also the Google Drive help center.
Description: Users trying to submit the same document as a new template will receive a message stating the template already exists.
Workaround: Create a copy of the document, set it's sharing setting to either Anyone at <your domain> can find and access or a more public option, and submit the copied document to the gallery.
Description: In Google Sheets, importrange is a way to circumvent the "Disable options to download, print, and copy for commenters and viewers" option.
Workaround: No workaround at this time.
Description: The OS X operating system identifies a group of files in a directory as a "package", although the package will appear as a single file when viewed in Finder or other OSX tools. Other operating systems like Windows and Linux do not support this type of package directory, and, currently, neither does Drive.
Workaround: While the files will appear as folders in Drive, they will display normally once opened
Description: Word documents that are saved to the DriveFS folder are appearing as ZIP files in Drive.
Workaround: Make a copy of the affected file in the Drive File Stream folder. The new file should correctly appear in Google Drive web.
See also Directory Help.
Description: The legacy Contacts UI is no longer integrated into GMail. The new Contacts Preview UI doesn’t yet support delegation. This creates the perception that delegation might not be well supported moving forward.
- Delegation will continue to be supported going forward
- The legacy Contacts UI still supports Contacts delegation when accessed in standalone mode
- The legacy Contacts UI will not be removed until Contacts Preview supports delegation
- The standalone UI defaults to the main user account; delegation must be accessed manually once in the UI, from the left nav bar
- If delegation is currently active, it will continue to be active when the old GMail UI is turned down via the standalone Contacts Manager
See Fix a problem in the Gmail Help Center.
Description: Customers using Google+ Chrome extensions may experience a lack of functionality, or encounter a 404 error.
Workaround: No workaround at this time.
See the Google Groups Help Center.
See also Fix problems with Hangouts.
Users with no profile picture have inconsistent display icons
Can't change profile photo with iOS app when both Google+ and Google Photos are disabled
Hangouts Chrome extension does not support spell check
Description: Some users are not able to initiate one-to-one conversations with a subset of their contacts list. Affected conversations contain no messages and have been idle for at least 10 days.
Workaround: No workaround at this time.
Description: When there are multiple Calendar events with the same Hangouts video call link attached, the call will be available only to the external invitees of the first call. If an external user is invited to a named Hangout, but he was not invited to the previous call, the message "This party is over" will be displayed.
Workaround: Use a new meeting name when the list of invitees is different from the first meeting instance.
Description: This issue pertains to a small subset of G Suite users who:
- Currently use Google Talk (as opposed to Google Hangouts)
- Have never previously upgraded to Google Hangouts and downgraded back to Google Talk
- Have chat history enabled
For users who meet these criteria, it’s possible that chats sent and received from 11:00AM PST January 13 to 8:00AM PST January 21 are not visible in chat archives in Gmail or Google Vault.
To further clarify the scope of the issue, these chats were successfully sent to their intended recipients.
Workaround: This issue occurred within the timeframes listed above. Any chats since January 21 are visible as normal. We’re currently working on restoring the visibility of the affected Google Talk chats without causing any disruptions to the Google Talk, Gmail, or Google Vault services.
See Troubleshoot issues in the Google Calendar help center.
Description: Google Calendar can take up to 48 hours to propagate changes in deeply nested groups to event permissions.
Reported date: 05/15/2017
Description: In rare cases, some users don’t receive email notifications when they’re invited to a new Calendar event.
Workaround: Organizations that experience this issue can avoid it by asking their users to do the following:
- Don’t modify Calendar events immediately after creating them.
- Disable the "Automatically decline events if you have a scheduling conflict." setting.
- Avoid adding both a large group (more than about 200 members) and a resource (for example, a conference room) at the same time when first creating a Calendar event.
The reporting APIs available for classic Hangouts do not apply to Hangouts Meet
People can't hear an attendee who is using a MacOS computer
If people can’t hear you in a Hangouts Meet video meeting, make sure that your microphone is turned on. Click to turn on your microphone.
If you are using a Mac computer and your microphone is on, but people still can’t hear you, try the following options. In some cases, Mac computer settings may prevent Meet from using the computer’s microphone.
- Unmute your device. Go to your device system settings and make sure your microphone is not turned off.
- Unmute yourself in Meet. At the bottom of the screen, click to turn on your microphone.
Tip: Other people can mute you, but can’t unmute you.
- In your Chrome browser, enter chrome://restart to restart Chrome and reset all Chrome apps and extensions.
- Restart your computer.
Rooms in different timezones cannot be booked for all-day events
For an overview of Admin Console tasks, see Use your Admin console.
Description: For advanced content matches, Content Compliance rules with regular expressions sometimes don’t match on .xls files. This issue may sometimes affect some other file types such as .csv.
Reported date: 09/03/2018
Description: An Admin trying to manage Team Drive users might see a blank window.
Manage Team Drive users in the Admin Console > Apps > G Suite > Drive and Docs > Manage Team Drives (subject to edition availability).
Workaround: Assign the Admin a G Suite license that includes Team Drives and make sure the Drive and Docs service is enabled for them.
Description:The Google Developer Console setting in the Admin Console is being replaced with a new Google Cloud Platform setting.
The setting will be in a frozen state from September 17-24, and neither application will be visible from the Admin console.
Workaround:To disable project creation for a user, admins can remove the user from the Project Creator role in their organization. Users can create a new project using their consumer account, and then add their Cloud Identity user as an owner. The project can then be imported into the organization.
See Billing issues.
See also Use G Suite on mobile devices.
G Suite Migration for Microsoft Exchange
Description: On occasion, GSMME doesn't adhere to the specified start and end dates when migrating email from an IMAP server. Instead of migrating messages from within the specified dates, GSMME will estimate (and then migrate) all the emails in the source account.
See the Google Vault Help Center.
G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook
Description: GSSMO with Outlook running on certain versions of Microsoft Windows does not return search results. If you are affected by this issue, please apply the latest Microsoft Office updates. More information can be found at Outlook known issues in the June 2017 security updates specifically Issue #5.
Google Mobile Management
Description: Google Apps Device Policy app 8.22 on Wear OS suddenly displays the error message: There was an unexpected error. Please unregister and re-register your account to fix the issue. Otherwise please contact your domain administrators."
Workaround: For those users who would like to continue using an Wear OS smartwatch:
- Move users with Wear OS devices into a separate OU and change management level from Advanced to Basic for the respective OU, or set management from Advanced to Basic for the domain.
- Add G Suite account back onto the Wear OS device and activate the Device Policy app again.
See the Docs Help Center.
See the Forms Help Center.
See the Google Keep Help Center.
See the Sheets Help Center.
See the Google Sites Help Center.
Description: Google Sites can take up to 48 hours to propagate changes in deeply nested groups to access permissions.
See the Google Slides Help Center.
See the Google Classroom Help Center.
See the Google Expeditions Help Center.
How we define a Known Issue
We work on isolating and fixing every product issue that we're aware of. Some issues might not be listed here. We characterize known Issues as follows:
- We can consistently reproduce an unexpected behavior.
- Engineers are actively working towards a fix to correct the behavior.
- The issue is observed globally and has generated a large number of support cases.
What's not a Known Issue
- Product outages: Up-to-date outage information is posted within the G Suite Status Dashboard.
- Feature Ideas: We'd love to hear your thoughts! Go ahead and file a Feature Idea.
- Low impact issues: We're also working to fix low impact issues but might not list them here. If you think you might be impacted by an issue that's not listed here, you can contact us.
What to expect from a Known Issue
We intend to fix every issue listed in Known Issues. However, we can't guarantee timelines. In the meantime, we'll add available workarounds as we discover them. For questions or comments, contact us.