Use your search mindset to find success on YouTube
People are increasingly turning to online video to discover and research products. In fact, more than 55% of people search for a product on Google, and then learn more by going to YouTube before they buy it.1 In many ways, managing campaigns on YouTube can be a lot like managing search campaigns. Use the advice below to succeed with video using your search mindset:
1. Extend your search keyword strategy to YouTube
- Use custom intent audiences on YouTube.
Why: Custom intent audiences reach people who are actively researching your product on Google. They’re more likely to be ready to take action.
- Upload a minimum of 50 keywords to your custom intent audiences.
Why: Using all converting and assisting keywords from your search campaigns creates a more customized audience for you to reach.
- Avoid layering demographics on top of custom intent audiences.
Why: When you go beyond demographics, you can reach more relevant people based on their intent to buy.
Run potential video keywords through the Keyword planner to get a sense of your potential impact on YouTube.
2. Make it easy for viewers to take action from your video
- Use TrueView for action to make it easy for viewers to engage with your business.
Why: TrueView for action campaigns drive leads and conversions by adding prominent calls-to-action to your video ads.
Use a creative with a clearly defined product offering and strong call-to-action. Check out our guide to YouTube advertising on how to create great video ads.
3. Set your bidding strategy up for success
- Enable Smart Bidding on your TrueView for action campaigns.
Boosting your initial conversion volume will help the optimization algorithm improve your campaign faster. When you start a new TrueView for action campaign, your budget should be at least 20x your CPA until you are consistently generating 50 conversions per day.
A TrueView for action ad shown on a mobile device
4. Understand how measurement differs across search and video
- Treat search and video conversions differently, but part of the same end goal.
Why: An ad doesn’t have to be clicked for it to be effective, particularly for video advertising. Different metrics and goals may work for different campaign types.
- Use Google Ads Conversion Tracking to measure online actions generated by your video campaign.
Why: See how effectively your video ads drive valuable customer activity, such as clicks to your website, purchases, newsletter sign-ups, and more.
Consider tracking micro-conversions to better understand how your video ads are performing at each step of the purchase journey.
1Source: Google/Magid Advisors, "The Role of Digital Video in People’s Lives”, Global (US, CA, BR, UK, DE, FR, JP, IN, KR, AU), August 2018, n=20,000, A18-64 general online population.