To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the “Audiences” tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more About Audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the Updates to Audience terms and phrases
Your data segments let you show ads to people who have interacted with your business and thus target customers who may be highly interested in your products and services. These customers may have visited your website, downloaded your app, or seen your YouTube videos. In Google Ads, you can create your data segments based on lots of different data sources and behaviors of potential customers.
Ad reach with your data segments is highly dependent on where you would like to show your ads. This article explains why that may happen, and which of your data segments are compatible.
Before you begin
If you aren't familiar with how to use your data, you should read how to set up your data segments. You'll learn how to set up a campaign targeting people who visited your website and/or used your app and get a feel for how segments are created.
In some cases, your segment may be ineligible or incompatible with your campaign. There are 2 reasons why your data segment may not work in your campaign:
- Your data segment does not have enough visitors or users on the selected network in your campaign settings. Learn more about list sizes
- Your data segment type is incompatible with the selected network in your campaign settings. Below you can learn more about list type compatibility.
List type compatibility
Your data segments are grouped by the source of their data into data segment types. The most common type of list is "Website visitors", which uses a tag on your website to add people to the list. Below you can find out which list type is compatible with which types of ads.
Keep in mind that you still have to meet the size requirements.
The requirement to serve your ads varies based on the target network. The accuracy of the estimated segment size will vary depending on your segment settings, the length of time since your tag was installed, your campaign settings, and other factors.
- Google Display Network must have a minimum of 100 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- Google Search Network must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- YouTube must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
- Discovery ads must have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users within the last 30 days.
If you have trouble with managing your data segments:
* Some visitors to your website may not be able to be targeted on Google properties. For example, visitors uploaded through Data Management Platforms can't be targeted on Google properties.
Compatibility of similar segments lists depends on the seed list.
Seed list type
Similar segment list compatibility
|Search||YouTube||Display||Display (Gmail only)|