Create an App campaign
App campaigns allow you to promote your app across Google Search, Google Play, YouTube, Gmail, and within other apps and mobile websites on the Display Network. This article covers how to create one of these campaigns in your Google Ads account.
Before you begin
Ready to advertise your app? Click here to get $75 when you spend $25 on App campaigns.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose “previous” below. Learn more
- Sign in to Google Ads.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select App.
- Select your app's platform.
- Enter your app name, package name, or publisher, then select your app from the list that appears.
- Click Continue.
- In the “Campaign name” field, add a name for your campaign. To help you find your campaign later, you might want to indicate in the name that this is an App campaign.
- In the “Your text ideas” section:
- Enter 4 independent lines of text that can be rotated in your ads in any order.
- Each idea needs to be 25 characters or less.
- Include one idea that is 20 characters or less to fit in smaller spaces.
- Learn how to show the best ad for your goal.
- You have the option to add up to 20 of each of the following assets:
- Videos must be hosted on YouTube.
- Orientation can be landscape, portrait, or square.
- If you don’t have videos to add, Google Ads may make a video ad for you using assets from your app store listing.
- Upload images as .jpg, .gif, or .png with a maximum size of 150KB.
- For native ads, landscape images are the most valuable format.
- For interstitial ads, portrait images are the most valuable format.
- Other valuable formats include: 320x50 px, 320x480 px, and 300x250 px.
- Learn how to upload image ads in different sizes.
- Upload HTML5 as .zip with a maximum size of 1MB and no more than 40 files.
- To validate your HTML5 assets before uploading, run your .zip file through the HTML5 Validator tool.
- HTML5 sizes currently accepted include:
- 300x250 (fixed size)
- 320x50 (fixed size)
- 480x320 (landscape interstitial, variable size)
- 320x480 (portrait interstitial, variable size)
- Learn about HTML5 for App campaigns
- If needed, update any location or language settings. Keep in mind, Google Ads doesn't translate your ads, so you should only target languages that match your ads.
- Under “Campaign Optimization,” choose to optimize your campaign for one of the following:
- Install volume
- In-app actions (You can only select this option if you’ve already set up tracking for specific in-app actions.)
- Set your target bids. For app installs on Android, you may see a projection of install volume for a range of bid values if you've linked your Google Play and Google Ads accounts. Learn more about bidding in App campaigns.
- Click Save and continue. Google Ads can count installs as conversions for Android apps in the Google Play store automatically. To track all other installs, make sure to set up mobile app conversion tracking.
- Use square and vertical video to engage mobile customers
- If you've created your Google Ads campaign using your Google Play developer account, you should be able to see all of your app campaign's statistics in your developer console. Learn more about links to your Play Developer Console.u