Week 2: Have effective meetings and communications
To communicate quickly and efficiently with people on your team, complete the tasks below.
|2. Create and customize calendar events||3. Have productive meetings|
1. Communicate with people outside of meetingsOverview: Communicate with people outside of meetings
Outside of meetings, there are multiple ways to communicate with people using G Suite.
Communicate with an individual:
- Direct chat message—If you have a quick or time-sensitive question, send a Hangouts Chat message.
- Email—If you need to discuss something more complex or not time-sensitive, send an email with Gmail.
Communicate with groups of people:
- Contact group—For temporary groups, like a short-term project, team, you can create a contact group. Contact groups can be used in both emails and chats. You can't directly share your contact group with others. However, if you send an email to a Contacts group, other people can reply to everyone in your Contacts group or copy your list of addresses.
Groups mailing list—For long-term teams or divisions within an organization, you can create a Groups mailing list. The email address for a Groups mailing list can be used to communicate and share with multiple people at once, such as in emails, calendar events, and files.
Note: If your G Suite administrator did not turn on Groups for your organization, you can use contact groups instead.
Send a chat message to an individual:
- Open Gmail, and in the bottom left, click Hangouts .
People or groups you contact frequently appear below your name.
- Click a person’s or group's name to quickly start a chat.
- If you don’t see the person or group below your name, click New conversation , enter their name, and click the person to start a chat.
Send a chat message to a group of people:
- Open Gmail, and in the bottom left, click New conversationNew group .
- Next to People, enter a group name and click Done .
- In the Hangouts window on the right, click People Add people.
- Select the people you want to add and click Add people. Your group is automatically saved.
- (Optional) To remove a person from the group, next to their name, click Remove and then Remove to confirm.
Move the chat window:
- Open Gmail and click SettingsSettingsAdvanced.
- Scroll to the Right-side chat section and select Enable.
- Click Save Changes.
- Open Gmail and point to an email.
- On the right, click Snooze.
- Under Snooze until, choose a time.
The email automatically snoozes and moves out of your inbox. You will get a reminder about the snoozed email after the specified time.
- (Optional) To see all snoozed email, click Snoozed in the left sidebar.
- In Gmail, select the conversation you want to mute.
- Click More and select Mute.
- After you mute a conversation, it's removed from your inbox and archived. You can still see the conversation in All Mail with a Muted label applied.
- Open the email.
Note: If a message includes a signature or previous replies, Gmail hides them from view. Below your reply, click Show trimmed content to view all the text that will be included in your reply.
- In the top right, click More .
- Click an option, such as Reply, Reply to all, Forward, and Print.
Note: Gmail’s Smart Reply may suggest some responses based on the email you received. To save time, select one, then edit the suggested text or send it as is.
Print an email or a calendar invite:
Note: Before creating a Groups mailing list, make sure it doesn't already exist in Groups. If you can't see Groups, contact your G Suite administrator. If Groups is not turned on for your organization, you can create a Contact group instead.
- In Groups, click Create group.
- If you’re creating a group within your organization, your group’s address will end with yourdomain.com.
- If you’re creating a public group, your group’s address will end with googlegroups.com.
- Describe the group.
- Scroll to Group type, and next to Select a group type, select Email list.
- Scroll to Basic permissions and choose who can view topics, post, and join your group.
- Click Create group.
If you want to quickly contact the same group of people by email, you can create and save a contact group. Next time you want to email that set of contacts, you just enter the group name as the email recipient.
Create a contact group:
- In Gmail, click Compose.
- Next to To, enter the individual email addresses.
- Click To.
- (Optional) Check the box next to another contact to add them to your group. The email addresses appear at the bottom.
- Click Save as group.
- Name the group and click Save.
Email a contact group:
- In Gmail, click Compose.
- Next to To, enter the group’s name.
- Compose your message and click Send.
2. Create and customize calendar eventsCreate appointment slots
- Open Google Calendar and in your calendar grid, click an empty time slot and click Appointment slots.
- (Optional) If you want to create your appointment slot on another calendar, at the bottom next to your name, click the Down arrow and select the calendar.
- Add a title and choose a date and time.
- Select the number of slots and the duration of each appointment.
- (Optional) If you want to add more details to your appointment slot, click More options and add your information.
- Click Save.
Your appointment block shows as a single event on your calendar, with a grid symbol in the top-left corner. As people book appointments, they'll appear as regular events overlapping the appointment block.
Create an event from an email:
- In Gmail, open the email.
- At the top, click More Create event.
- Add details to your new event and click Save.
See automatic events created from emails:
Some emails (such as flight confirmations and restaurant reservations) are added to your calendar automatically.
Turn off automatic events:
If you don't want events from Gmail on your calendar, you can delete a single event, or change your settings so that events aren't added automatically.
- Open Calendar and go to Settings Settings.
- Scroll to Events from Gmail.
- In the Visibility of Gmail events field, choose an option:
- Calendar default—Anyone who has access to view event details on your calendar can see the name and time for your event from Gmail. Only people who have access to make changes to your events can see other details from your email, such as confirmation numbers, flight status, or phone numbers.
Note: If you share your calendar publicly, choosing this option also makes your Gmail event publicly visible.
- Private—Only people who have access to make changes to your calendar can see your event details. Anyone else who can view your calendar but can't make changes sees the event as "Busy".
- Only me—Access to events on your calendar are only visible to you.
- (Optional) To turn this feature off, uncheck the Automatically add events from Gmail to my calendar box.
Sometimes you might want to schedule another event covering the same topic. You can easily do this by duplicating the original event.
- Single-click your event and click Edit .
- Open your event and at the top next to All day, click Does not repeat.
- Choose how often you want the event to repeat.
If you want to choose an end date, click Custom and enter your start and end dates.
- Click Save.
Create the agenda:
Choose an option:
Attach the agenda to the event:
- Single-click your event and click Edit .
- Open your event and scroll down to the event description and click Attach .
- Click My Drive or Upload and select your file.
- Click Select or Upload. Your file will be attached to the event.
- Click Save.
Note: If your G Suite administrator doesn’t allow sharing Google Drive files outside of your organization, you can send Gmail attachments to external guests instead.
Create the notes and action items document:
Choose an option:
Add comments and assign them to specific people:
- In Docs, Sheets, or Slides, select the text you'd like to comment on.
- Click Add comment .
- Enter your comment in the box.
- (Optional) To direct your task or comment to a specific person, enter a plus sign (+) followed by their email address. You can add as many people as you want. Each person will get an email with your comment and a link to the file.
- (Optional) To assign the comment to a specific person, check the Assign to box.
- Click Comment or Assign.
If you want to block out time for work in your calendar, you can add events and make them private.
- Choose an option:
- In the calendar grid, click an empty time slot.
- Click Create.
- Add an event title, date, and time.
- (Optional) To add more details to your event, click More options.
- In the Visibility section, choose Private.
- When you're finished, click Save.
To avoid a lot of emails back and forth discussing the availability of guests for your meetings, let the guests modify the event so they can pick a time that suits them.
Let guests modify an event:
Open your event.
- On the Guests tab, go to Add guests and enter the first few letters of a person’s name or email address in the box.
Matching names and addresses in your organization’s directory appear as you enter text.
- Click a suggestion to add that person to the event. If no suggestions appear, enter your guest’s full email address.
- (Optional) To mark a guest’s attendance as optional, point to the guest name and click Mark optional .
- (Optional) To allow guests to modify the event, invite others, or see the guest list, under Guests can; check the appropriate boxes.
Note: If you create an event in Calendar and do not give guests permission to modify the event, they will not be able to change the event's date or time on their own calendar.
Let guests modify events by default:
- In Calendar, click Settings Settings.
- In the Event settings section, click Default guest permissions and select Modify event.
- In Calendar, single-click the event in your calendar grid.
- Go to the Going? section and click the Up arrow Propose a new time.
- In the Your proposal section, select a different time or day and add a message.
- Click Send proposal.
You can delete an event if you're the owner or, if not, remove it. You can restore the event again after either deleting or removing it.
Delete an event:
Click the event in your calendar grid and click Delete .
Restore an event:
- To find your deleted event, click Settings Trash.
- Point to the event and choose an option:
- To restore the event, check the box next to the event and click Restore.
- To permanently delete the event, check the box next to the event and click Delete .
- (Optional) To delete all events in your trash, at the top right, click Empty trash.
Note: Deleted events remain in a calendar's trash for approximately 30 days.
3. Have productive meetingsJoin meetings
You can easily join Hangouts meetings on your computer or on the go using your mobile.
On the web
For more details, see Get started with Hangouts Meet.
On mobile devices
- Open the Hangouts Meet app.
- Swipe up from the bottom to view your scheduled meetings.
- Select a meeting from the list and tap Join.
- Go to Meet and start or join a video meeting.
- When you’re in the meeting, click MoreRecord meeting and click Start.
Note: Participants are notified when recording starts or stops. People outside of your organization, mobile app users, and people who dial in also get notified when the recording starts or stops, but they can’t control the recording.
- To stop recording, click MoreStop recording.
- Click Stop recording to confirm. Also, the recording automatically stops when everyone leaves the meeting.
- Wait a few minutes for the recording file to be generated and saved to Drive.
An email with a link to the recording is automatically sent to the meeting organizer and whoever started the recording. The recording is automatically shared with meeting participants who are in the same domain as the meeting organizer.
- If you receive an email with a recording file, click the file to open it, or click Open in Drive.
- In Google Drive, open the Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Google Slides file you want to share or present.
- (Optional) To edit a document, spreadsheet, or presentation simultaneously with your guests:
- In the upper-right corner, click Share.
- Add a title to your document and click Save.
- Add your meeting guests and give everyone Can edit access.
- Click Send.
- Open Hangouts Meet and join the meeting.
- Click Present now and choose what to share:
- Your entire screen
- A window
- Click Share.
Now people can follow along as you present. To stop sharing your screen at any time, at the bottom of your screen, click Stop sharing.