If you're the owner or IT admin for your organization's domain name, you can unlock admin features, such as the ability to create user accounts, manage user profiles, and control password strength. Unlock features by verifying you own your domain.
You can verify your domain:
- After signing up for a Google service, like Google Workspace Essentials Starter or Chrome Enterprise, and trying it out with your team.
- After someone else at your domain signs up for an email-verified Google service. In this case, you take over management of the Google service for your organization.
Unlocks more features
When you verify your domain for a Google service:
- You assume full administrative control of all user accounts in your organization. You can create user accounts, manage user profiles and security settings, and more.
- If you have an Essentials edition, you also get mobile device management features an additional features, such as managed Google Groups.
- You can switch to another Google Workspace edition to get even more apps, like Gmail.
Before you begin
- Verifying domain ownership prevents other teams at your organization from signing up for an email-verified Google service, such as Essentials Starter or Chrome Enterprise.
- If you're using Essentials Starter edition, you'll be prompted to upgrade to Enterprise Essentials after you verify your domain. Alternatively, you can upgrade before you start domain verification process. For details, see Switch to Enterprise Essentials edition.
How to verify domain ownership
To unlock identity management features for your Google service, you need to verify that you own your organization's domain.
To verify your domain with Google, you must have:
- The sign-in information for your domain host—Your host is typically where you bought your domain, such as GoDaddy or Enom. If you’re not sure where you bought your domain, go to Identify your domain host.
- Access to your domain's DNS settings/records—You'll need to update your domain’s DNS settings (also called DNS records). Most domain hosts let you do this yourself, by signing in to your account at the host. Others may update your settings for you.
If your domain host doesn't allow updating DNS settings, you can verify your domain by updating files at your domain's website. Go to Verify your domain with a TXT record.
Follow these steps to verify you own your domain.
If you have access to your Google Admin console:
From the Admin console Home page, go to Domains.
- Click Manage domains > Verify domain ownership. Then follow the steps in the verification tool.
Important: If a message appears that says you can’t verify your domain, go to “If you can't verify your domain" below.
- When it's time to verify your domain, you'll be asked to sign in to your domain host. You'll get a verification record to add to your domain’s DNS settings. Or, you can add a tag or file to your website’s files.
Click below for step-by-step instructions to add the verification record, for your host. Also find generic steps if your host isn't listed.
Important: The verification record doesn’t affect your existing website or email.
- After you add the verification record to your DNS settings, you'll tell the verification tool to look for this record. After a few minutes (though it might take up to 1 hour), you’ll get a confirmation message that your domain is verified.
- If you're using Essentials Starter edition, follow the instructions to upgrade your subscription to Enterprise Essentials within 8 days; otherwise, domain verification will be canceled.
- If there are other teams using an email-verified Google service in your domain, follow the on-screen instructions to merge the teams with yours.
For details about merging organizations and recommended actions to take before and after you complete domain verification, see the section “Merging with other teams after domain verification” below.
Once you complete all on-screen steps to unlock features, you can start using your domain-verified Google service.
I'm taking control from another admin
If you don't have access to the Google Admin console:
Step 3: Set up billing (required to avoid account suspension)
On the Admin console Home page, go to BillingManage subscriptions.
- Under Subscriptions, next to your Google service—such as Essentials or Chrome Enterprise Upgrade)—click Set up billing.
- Follow the instructions to set up billing.
For details, go to one of the following:
If there’s at least one other team (organization) using an email-verified Google service at your domain, you’ll need to merge your team with the other teams before you can unlock features and start managing user accounts. Follow the on-screen instructions to merge teams.
If you merge organizations:
- Your organization will become the top-level parent organization in your organizational structure in the Admin console. All other organizations will become child organizational units under that. Learn more about your organizational structure.
- Your organization needs to have all the subscriptions the other teams are using. If your organization is missing any of those subscriptions, you'll need to add them to your organization's account during the domain verification process. This prevents users from losing access to services and associated data. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the missing subscriptions on the Billing page, which opens on a new tab. Make sure you return to the "Review subscriptions" page to finish merging teams.
- You'll need to upgrade any teams using Essentials Starter edition. Follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade these teams' subscriptions to Enterprise Essentials.
- Billing is consolidated. Other organizations' billing will be automatically canceled, and you’ll have one bill for all merged organizations.
Chrome Enterprise organizations: For additional information on merging teams for Chrome Enterprise, see About email-verified and domain-verified accounts.
Actions to take before you unlock features of your Google service
- Reset other teams’ policies—All organizations that merge with yours will lose their policies and inherit your organization’s policies—for example, your Drive sharing settings. If needed, work with the team administrators to reset policies by adding them to the parent organizational unit.
- Download Chat spaces data (Essentials editions only)—When your organization merges with the other organizations, existing Chat spaces for all organizations except yours are permanently deleted. If you and other team administrators want to keep Chat spaces data (messages and tasks) from those teams, make sure you export your organization’s data. For details, see Export your organization’s data.
Important: If any organizations export data, domain verification will be paused until the export is complete, which usually takes from 3 to 14 days.
- Add storage (Essentials edition only)—Storage for all merging organizations is limited to 2 TB. If you need more storage, contact sales about upgrading your organization’s account. Or, you can switch to another Google Workspace edition. For details, see Switch Google Workspace editions.
Actions to take after you unlock features for your Google service
- Grant administrator privileges—The team administrators for the merging organizations lose their administrative privileges. If needed, add back administrative privileges to their accounts. For details, see Make a user an admin.
- Migrate Chat apps (Essentials editions only)—If merging organizations have developed Chat apps, they might not work properly after domain verification. To keep their apps working, developers might need to migrate them to a Google Cloud project. For details, see Migrate Chat apps.
If the following message appears in the Admin console when you try to verify your domain, domain verification isn't available using the Admin console.
Your Google subscription doesn’t yet allow you to take over management of multiple teams at once if they're not all using the same Google service. Your subscription version will be upgraded to allow you to do this in an upcoming release.
If you want to manage the other teams now, you can verify your domain by merging the other teams with yours, as follows:
- Ask the other teams’ admins to cancel their email-verified Google service subscription. Go to steps. Make sure these admins:
- Choose the option to let users keep their data
- Also delete their team’s Google service account
If you don’t know who the other team admins are: Contact Google Workspace Support by filling out this form.
- Verify domain ownership, by following the instructions above.
- Add the other teams’ users to your Google service account, by following these steps.
Want help with these steps?
You can contact us directly for help (available with your Essentials subscription): Contact support
After you verify your domain
- Existing users get an email telling them that their Google accounts will soon have a new administrator.
- Essentials only: You'll no longer manage your team from the Team dashboard. Instead, you'll perform all management tasks from your Google Admin console, where more business features become available.
- You become the sole admin for users. Any previous admins lose access to management controls, such as the Team dashboard (Essentials only) or Admin console.
- Users in any teams that merged with yours can no longer access Chat spaces—including messages and tasks—they used with their original team.
As a super admin for your domain-verified Google service, you can manage all aspects of your service, including creating user accounts, configuring security settings, creating policies, and more.
Learn more about managing user accounts:
- Add accounts for employees and contractors
- Make another user an admin
- Turn a service on or off for your users
- Manage your users' global contact Directory
If you're using Essentials, learn more about:
If you’re not sure where you bought your domain, go to Identify your domain host.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Domains.
- If you don't see a message asking you to verify your domain, your domain has been verified.
Adding your verification record takes about 10 minutes. It can take up to 1 hour for us to confirm you added the record, but it usually happens more quickly.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.