Remove data from users’ mobile devices
Mobile devices store important information and can give access to a user’s G Suite account. If a device goes missing or an employee leaves your organization, you can remove corporate data from the device, even if you don’t have the device.
You can remotely wipe the user’s G Suite account, their work profile, or all data from the device. Whichever method you choose, the G Suite data is still available for active users who sign in with their computer, a web browser, or another authorized mobile device.
Before you begin
- Before you can wipe a user’s mobile device, you need to turn on mobile management. For details, see Set up mobile device management.
- For details about what data gets removed, see Decide what to wipe from the device.
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later devices—An account can’t be removed if it’s the only account on the device. When you wipe the account, new work data will stop syncing but existing data and the G Suite account will remain on the device. To remove the account and existing data, choose Wipe device instead of Wipe account to wipe all data from the device.
Wipe data from a user’s device
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Click the user’s name to open their account page.
- On the user's details page, click Managed devices to see a list of the user’s devices.
- Choose an option:
- To remove only G Suite data from the device, hover over the Device ID and click Wipe account .
- To remove all data from the device, hover over the Device ID and click MoreWipe device.
Note: If you’re not sure which option to choose, see Remove corporate data from a mobile device
Click Wipe to confirm.
If the user added the same G Suite account to their work profile and personal space, there are 2 entries for the device in the mobile devices list. Repeat the steps to remove data from both entries from the devices list.
Data is deleted (and device is reset if applicable) the next time the device synchronizes. Until then, the device status in your Admin console is Account wipe pending or Device wipe pending.
- (Optional) To cancel a device wipe, click MoreCancel device wipe.
When the wipe is complete, the device status is Wiped. It usually takes a few minutes for the data to be removed from the device, but it might take up to 3 hours for some devices.
- (Optional) To return to the user’s account page, at the top right, click the Up arrow .