Delete a user from your organization
This page is for G Suite administrators who manage user accounts for a company, school, or other group. If you want to delete your own personal Google Account, see Delete your Google Account.
When a user leaves your organization, you might want to delete their G Suite user account. Before you do, you should review the user’s files, calendars, and any other data. Then, decide whether to transfer the data to another user. Or, you might want to export the data another way.
Before you begin
- G Suite access—The user can’t access any of your organization's G Suite services, such as Google Drive files, Gmail, and so on.
- Files and calendars—All events the user created will stay on invitees' calendars. The user's G Suite data, including all file types, Gmail, and calendar data (except for shared calendars), is deleted after 5 days. For some data, you can transfer ownership to another user.
- Sites pages—Pages created by the user aren’t deleted. As administrator, you can remove the sites.
- Google Vault —All the user's Vault data is deleted after 30 days, regardless of any retention settings or holds that might be in effect.
- Google Play—The user's Google Play developer account is also deleted. You can transfer some apps to another developer account, but apps that offer subscription products can't be transferred.
- Google+—The user's Google+ profile and circles are deleted. If the user is the sole owner of a community, collection, or event, it’s deleted as well.
- Brand account—If your organization uses a Brand Account, any assets owned solely by one user, such as Google+ pages, Google My Business listings, and YouTube channels, are deleted immediately. If there are other owners, the assets are transferred to another owner’s G Suite account.
- Non-core services—Content in the user's non-core services, such as YouTube and Blogger, is immediately deleted.
Transfer or export files or important data
Transfer shared calendars
The user's primary calendar is deleted after 5 days. Any shared calendars aren't deleted. To transfer ownership of shared calendars, give another user permission to make changes and manage sharing on the shared calendar.
Check if you have business email powered by G Suite
If you signed up for the business email service that lets you manage your personal and business email in the same Google inbox, you purchased business email powered by G Suite. Learn more.
Warning: Before you delete the account of someone who signed up for business email powered by G Suite with a personal Gmail account, there are 2 important points:
- The deleted user’s access to that personal account is removed.
- You can no longer manage a domain that was purchased for the business email through Google Domains. To retain access, transfer the domain to a different Google Domains account.
If you use a Brand Account
Brand Account assets are deleted immediately if the user was the sole owner. If there are other owners, the assets are transferred automatically. Or, before you delete a user, you can remove the user and choose a new account owner.
You might also consider other ways to extract data before deleting a user's account.
Delete a user
Important: Before you begin, transfer ownership of files or export any data you want to save from the user’s account. You can transfer Drive, Google+, and Google My Business data during the deletion process.
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Users.
- To delete a user, next to their name, click More Delete.
Or, from the user's account page, click More Delete.
- To delete multiple users, hover over the user and check the box next to the users' names. Then, at the top of the page, click More Delete.
- (Optional) To transfer ownership of user content, check the boxes you want.
- Content that's not transferred to another user is deleted by Google. Google Drive files are deleted after 5 days. Brand Account assets (such as Google+ pages) are deleted immediately if the user is the sole owner.
- Transferred content includes files of all types, not just Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and so on.
- Confirm that you want to delete the user.
- If necessary, delete the user from your Gmail contacts list.
When the data is transferred and the account deleted, we email the contacts you set up in Company Profile Profile Contact information.
Restore a deleted user
You can restore a recently deleted account for up to 5 days. After this time, deleted accounts can't be recovered.